Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 4,005

2 members and 4,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Please critique my new BP setup! (also need help getting temp+Hum in order)

Hey everyone, new to the world of keeping a BP, and am very excited!

i purchased a BP yesterday from a reputable breeder, and i got a very lovely snake for my first, anyways i just wanted to make sure my enclosure is spot on, as im very adhd about all the animals i own, and want everything to be perfect, so i am very open to any criticism, as long as its constructive! haha.

here is a picture of my enclosure

-20G long tank
    -screen lid, with clips, i have Styrofoam blocking 1/2-3/4 of the top off, to prevent humidity from escaping, while still allowing air flow
    -heat pad (12"x8")
    -2 hides one fake rock, one on the hot side, a half moon wooden one on the other side, i poured substrate over the back open end of the wood hide to block the other side off to make her feel more secure
    -Cypress Mulch substrate about a 1" layer
    -Large water dish to help with humidity
    - brutal thermometer/hygrometer

not installed:

Thermostat- just received it in the mail today, i got the Hydrofarm one. im just unsure where to install the probe, should i hot glue it in the hot hide to the tank bottom right above the heat pad? or should i peel the heat pad off the bottom of the tank and place the probe inside the pad and re-stick it to the bottom of the tank? or can i just tape the probe to the bottom of the pad beneath the tank? any suggestions?

- proper thermometer and hygrometer. i had to buy the accurite therm/hygrom online since i couldnt find it in the walmart here in Canada... it will be here in 2 weeks unfortunately.. right now im using a lcd stick on glass one, i dont think its accurate but i dont know for sure, im actually very concerned about this, i couldnt find a decent thermometer with a probe anywhere locally.

right now my thermometer is reading 20 degrees C... so 68 degrees F and my humidity is reading at 77% i live in a naturally humid area of Canada, i dont think the temp and humidity is being read accurately whatsoever, but im not sure. i know 68 is NOT an acceptable temp... need to fix this asap.

can anyone help me make adjustments to my terrarium to give this girl the healthiest home possible? should i get a heat lamp to help bump the heat up, while helping to tone the humidity down (if 77% is accurate...) if yes to running a heat lamp with the heat pad at the same time, what type of bulb should i get and how should i run it, etc?

any advice is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by CanuckGame; 02-11-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Anyone have any suggestions? Particularly about the heat. Should I get a lamp to run with a heat pad? And if so what bulb should I get?

I really hope someone can give some advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    how big is your BP? usually BP's like tight spaces and if u gotta baby, that rock hide on the left might be big for it. try it out. your mileage might vary. also personally, i like to add fake plants to tanks/vivariums. so u might wanna think about that. just some clutter for a big tank like that. also block out the sides and back of the tank with dark paper.

your substrate is a little thick. i've always had no more than 1/2 inch of bedding. your BP will burrow and move the substrate as needed, but u wanna make it easy for it to feel bellyheat.

put the thermostat probe on the outside between the UTH and glass under your tank/vivarium. secure it with aluminum tape or electrical tape.

put the thermometer probe on the inside above the UTH, cover with substrate, put a hide over it on the warm side.

adjust your thermostat accordingly until your your thermostat for the warm side reaches 90ish degrees.

Edit: post pix of your BP. we love pix.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Please critique my new BP setup! (also need help getting temp+Hum in order)

Ax01 covered everything I was going to say, so I just want to see pics of your noodle now
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ball Python (Lucille Ball) - Super Russo / White Diamond [Born Nov. 2014]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    also a heat lamp isn't necessary if u can keep your cool side/ambient temps 80ish. you will need to maintain your humidity more with a heat lamp or it will dry out the air and moisture in your tank/vivarium or
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Please critique my new BP setup! (also need help getting temp+Hum in order)

You should cover the left and right sides of the tank for more security. Also, those half logs aren't very good hides because of the two large openings. A good hide fits very snug to the snake, has one small entrance and Udell that entrance us offset to one side