Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

2 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Western Hognose?

Ok, so I'm still trying to decide what type of snake to get. I looked at corns, balls, kings, and then I found out about hognose snakes. I find there stubby noses and way the hood up like a cobra very cute and interesting.

So I've done some research, about the husbandry and all that, but I couldn't find anything good or helpful on feeding. By that I mean, what size mice do hatchlings, juveniles and adults eat?

I read that a 20 gal long is sufficient for an adult. Is this true?

Any tips are appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I've never kept them myself, but our very own Deborah should be along in a bit. She's a professional
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Western Hognose?

Quote Originally Posted by kc.exotics View Post
    Ok, so I'm still trying to decide what type of snake to get. I looked at corns, balls, kings, and then I found out about hognose snakes. I find there stubby noses and way the hood up like a cobra very cute and interesting.

So I've done some research, about the husbandry and all that, but I couldn't find anything good or helpful on feeding. By that I mean, what size mice do hatchlings, juveniles and adults eat?

I read that a 20 gal long is sufficient for an adult. Is this true?

Any tips are appreciated
    If you get an hatchling they typically eats pinky mice and move through sizes all the way to adult mice for Females. Now when it comes to feeding it is VERY important to understand their fast metabolism and the fact that at first the prey size involved is really meaningless which means they need to be offered food often (I feed my hatchlings every 3 days, Juvy every 5 days and Adults once a week). The reason I mention that is because over the years the main mistake I have seen from new owners is that the snake was not being fed frequently enough and therefore barely growing. If fed right you should expect a weight of 45/65 grams for a male that is 1 year old and 75/100 grams for a female that is 1 year old.

20 gallons will be plenty enough even for a large adult female, however if you get an hatchling it is important that you get something VERY small to house him in, 2.7 quarts tubs are ideal for hatchlings until they are 25 grams, than 6 quarts tubs until they are about 100 grams and after that you can switch them to their permanent enclosure.

If you get a Pet I would recommend a female, for various reasons the first one their size they get much bigger (males are VERY very small), second females are also less frustrating when it comes to feeding, males can be more prone to food refusal than females are.

Hogs are fun and nothing can beat that face

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-08-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-08-2016),cristacake (02-10-2016),GoingPostal (02-09-2016),Prognathodon (02-09-2016),Slim (02-08-2016)