Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

0 members and 2,868 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Ball python not eating

Ok so i have a female ball python who hasn't eaten for over 2 months now it's starting to concern me. I try to feed her 1 normal sized thawed rat every week based on her size and she has been refusing every time. My male literally comes out of his freaking tub during feeding time though and doesn't hesitate to strike and constrict. I'm do everything right, so idk why it's not working.... I have let the rat sit in her tub with the lights out for a while...still nothing.. It's weird because she used to eat consistently but always seemed nervous of the food. She always has her tongue flickering when i bring out the food though so i know she is interested, but if i try to put it in front of her with the tongs she flinches back or stops flickering. This week I decided to do things a little bit differently and i waited 2 weeks before trying to feed her instead of 1 week and i only used a thawed mouse. She was in her hide and i just used the tongs to manipulate the mouse to look like it was walking all around her tub while she was in her hide with her head stick out and tongue flickering the entire time. Eventually i did happen to get a strike (not sure if out of agitation?) but she missed.... Now i'm just letting the mouse lay in the dark in her tub without me bothering her but i'm pretty sure it'll still be there when i come back... What the hell am I supposed to do?! Is this a weather issue (it has been a little chillier here in florida lately but i got her in a rack with heat tape)? Just her personality? Should i just wait? Do i need to feed her live?! Anyways thanks for reading about my dilemma, advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    My snakes (especially the older females) typically stop eating around December or January and will start eating again around April or May. Depending on your snake's age, this may be a case of "that time of year". I find yearlings will eat for a straight year or two. By the time they have gone through their second winter, they will take a break for a few months. But all snakes are different. Most of my males never refuse food. Most of my females however do.

Thanks

Re: Ball python not eating

I can't say for sure what the problem could be to me it sounds like she's just fasting. I've never had one of my girls fast that long but my pied boy which is also my oldest fast for 8 months. Winter seems to be prime time for bp's to fast so with that said about winter and my pied's 8 month fast just don't let it stress you to much. Just keep an eye on her weight and behavior if it's been 2 months since her last meal and her weight pretty much looks the same then she's probably fasting. Speaking of which my pied boy is actually fasting right now. I think its been a month and a halfish and believe me i know he's fasting. He'll go back to slammin rats eventually. This is just my take on your situation best of luck.

Thanks

How old is the snake and how much does it weigh

If she is over 1000 grams and it is winter you have just run into your first fast. Don't worry at all unless you see huge weight losses.

If she is under 1000 grams but over 500 I would not feed for a month then try again.

I would only be worried if she was very small.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

You could try feeding her every couple of weeks rather than every 7 days as this works for some Royals / Ball pythons .

Have you tried warming the mouse /rat with a hairdryer for a minute just seconds before offering , then try a few times after that ??

I even warm them up at the entrance to the viv and the smell alone sometimes triggers a strike , I also have a couple who will only strike from inside their hide which means I dangle the rodent in front of the hide entrance until they lunge out from the hide .

Other than that it could simply be going into shed or even as already mentioned a little fast . I had one years ago that went 9 months without eating and suddenly resumed as though nothing had happened .

I read somewhere that Royals / Balls hold the record for fasting - 21 months ......

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies! She is definitely fasting. PHEW!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysnakeislong For This Useful Post:

EDR (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Females Tend to fast when ready to breed or around the winter months. You can potentionally leave her 12months then worry! just keep an eye on her weight.
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks

My female is fasting too and it is frustrating. She was always such a great eater but a bit fussy - most of the time only wanted it left at the opening to her hide. So now I have her on the boa's schedule. If she doesn't eat the rat (I leave it overnight), then Turbo gets it. And he doesn't waste any time eating it. He generally hits it before I get it near him and in minutes is back looking for more, the little piggy.

Banned
    Thanks

lol gotta love the feeding response on boas xD. Turns out my bp might just be an exceptionally picky eater. It's been a while now and she constantly refuses f/t but will eat prekilled rats sometimes. She is very timid though even when it comes to prekilled. It is super annoying because I just want to get her to breeding size already but she is growing so damn slow because of how picky she is! I literally bought a baby male around 300 grams months after i got her when she was like 900 grams and he is now like 1200 grams and she is still 900 grams -.-
    Last edited by Mysnakeislong; 05-20-2016 at 03:21 PM.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysnakeislong View Post
    lol gotta love the feeding response on boas xD. Turns out my bp might just be an exceptionally picky eater. It's been a while now and she constantly refuses f/t but will eat prekilled rats sometimes. She is very timid though even when it comes to prekilled. It is super annoying because I just want to get her to breeding size already but she is growing so damn slow because of how picky she is! I literally bought a baby male around 300 grams months after i got her when she was like 900 grams and he is now like 1200 grams and she is still 900 grams -.-
    I know it is frustrating, but there is really not a lot you can do. If you have tried all the tricks the animal just does not want or need to eat he/she is not going to. I would say about 20% of mine I would consider problem eaters where the problem is me not them. I want them to grow faster and they do not want to. It always seems that the one that needs to be up to size does not want to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast