Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,113

3 members and 1,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hissing and flighty

My Rainbow boa is very laid back and never once struck at me. She's about 5 ft long give or take. Almost every time I open her terrarium to handle her she hisses. Never has defensive body language or even looks like she's going to strike. I haven't really bonded with her like I have my brand new BP, mainly because she's so flighty when being handled. She never seems interested in anything but getting away. Maybe she just wants to explore?

Idk but the hissing also makes me wonder. I'm always very careful with her and she's had no bad handling experiences with me. I've had her a few months now. Will this get better with more handling? What do y'all think?

im learning more and more every day with this site and others help. Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Could "very careful" also be called wary? I've seen reptiles very flighty and hissy/nippy be picked up by someone calm and experienced and be a completely different animal.

My sav came to us that way. Would tail slap hiss and bite everyone till they gave him up. My husband walked up to his tank picked him up stuck him in a bag and he has been an angel ever since. (Unless my hair is down. I think he thinks my hair is a giant rat or something.) once he had people who had absolutely no fear or wariness he settled down.

i think once you are more comfortable with him, he will be more comfortable with you. Maybe put you and her in a hallway or a small room with no hiding spaces and have a get to know each other session.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Re: Hissing and flighty

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    Could "very careful" also be called wary? I've seen reptiles very flighty and hissy/nippy be picked up by someone calm and experienced and be a completely different animal.

My sav came to us that way. Would tail slap hiss and bite everyone till they gave him up. My husband walked up to his tank picked him up stuck him in a bag and he has been an angel ever since. (Unless my hair is down. I think he thinks my hair is a giant rat or something.) once he had people who had absolutely no fear or wariness he settled down.

i think once you are more comfortable with him, he will be more comfortable with you. Maybe put you and her in a hallway or a small room with no hiding spaces and have a get to know each other session.

Hope this helps!
    What you're saying makes sense but I don't think it applies. We have had a couple sessions where we just sit on the floor together and she still just goes in the opposite direction of me no matter what. She gets picked up just like any other snake and is fine...just hisses as I pick her up and tries to snake away. I have no clue about previous owner(s). Just seeing if I'm the only one with this problem and or how to correct it eventually.

Thanks
    Ok I just wanted to start with the simplest answer. Now that it's out of the way...

does she stay hissy the whole time? Or does she settle?

as unsatisfactory as this will be, some animals just don't completely settle. Maybe you just have one that prefers being left alone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    Ok I just wanted to start with the simplest answer. Now that it's out of the way...

does she stay hissy the whole time? Or does she settle?

as unsatisfactory as this will be, some animals just don't completely settle. Maybe you just have one that prefers being left alone.
    Immediately after being taken out of her terrarium she is interested in crawling around me and finding the nearest thing to crawl on to. She stops hissing after being taken out of her terrarium. She's extremely well taken care of. I just wish she was a little more chill and we had more trust. If this doesn't clear up in a year I may be switching to a Dumerils boa and letting someone else enjoy how beautiful she is. Love the snake, just not the personality. I just don't know if that'll change.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimJam View Post
    Immediately after being taken out of her terrarium she is interested in crawling around me and finding the nearest thing to crawl on to. She stops hissing after being taken out of her terrarium. She's extremely well taken care of. I just wish she was a little more chill and we had more trust. If this doesn't clear up in a year I may be switching to a Dumerils boa and letting someone else enjoy how beautiful she is. Love the snake, just not the personality. I just don't know if that'll change.
    She will probably settle with time. My adult BRB's are chill but the cute little nippers they produced tore the heck out of my hands for a long time. Be glad yours is all talk and no bite.