Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

3 members and 3,087 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

traveling for 4 days, advice on keeping while traveling

Hi,

We are planning a big move across the country. We're leaving in a few weeks, and we are driving. I have two BP's and they are great together. Never had an issue. Looking for advice on traveling with them. We will be driving about 8 hours a day for 4 days. How should we keep them at night when we stop at hotels? We aren't worried about sneaking them in, just want to make sure they are kept in a proper way. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Thanks
    If you're only going to be gone for four days, it would be a LOT less stressful for your snakes to leave them at home. make sure their temps are good, they have fresh water, and go on your trip. I don't see how you could keep these snakes in motion for that long and not cause them stress. even in a car, if they're in a pillowcase or some type of tub... the snakes will be able to sense the car... the vibrations and movement.

Anytime you have to "sneak something in"... you should really re-think and re-evalualte your decisions.

Sorry if my replies sound harsh, but it just seems like a lot of un-needed stress on the animal.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: traveling for 4 days, advice on keeping while traveling

I think Bbrazee is moving, not traveling right??

If possible, it would be much less stressful to have them shipped to your new destination instead of taking them on the road, but of course that would require having another enclosure for each while you move their regular cages across country. Or if you know someone who has empty rack space and would be willing to ship out when you arrive and get settled.

If you do have to take them, It is going to be stressful for them, I wouldn't feed them for a while. You would have to set up a tub/tank every night for them and dial in temps daily. I don't really know how to make that easy lol sorry I'm not much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    If you're only going to be gone for four days, it would be a LOT less stressful for your snakes to leave them at home.
    They are moving/relocating, not vacationing.

OP can find pet-friendly hotels.

While in the car secure each into its own bag which goes into its own latch-box tub (they have secure lids). If you have to get a long tub buy some non-stretchy nylon luggage straps to secure the tub lid to the tub, they're like $7 a pair at WalMart or Target. Don't plan on stopping more than a few minutes for people pee-breaks or to get take-out food, you don't want the car cooling off so your snakes get cold.

The latchbox transport tubs can become overnight housing, just slide a UTH regulated by a thermostat under each one. Line the tub with newspaper and provide a water dish and a hide so they can spend the night in relative comfort.

Since given your other thread one of your snakes is sick and the other is likely to be, look now for a vet in your new location in case the stress of moving causes the RI to flare back up.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bbrazee (02-05-2016),cristacake (02-05-2016),Slim (02-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    If you're only going to be gone for four days, it would be a LOT less stressful for your snakes to leave them at home. make sure their temps are good, they have fresh water, and go on your trip. I don't see how you could keep these snakes in motion for that long and not cause them stress. even in a car, if they're in a pillowcase or some type of tub... the snakes will be able to sense the car... the vibrations and movement.

Anytime you have to "sneak something in"... you should really re-think and re-evalualte your decisions.

Sorry if my replies sound harsh, but it just seems like a lot of un-needed stress on the animal.
    I'm an idiot... sorry.... I misread your first post. My apologies. It won't let me edit my first post... Again, sorry.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

I'm MOVING. Is it a better option to leave them in the truck all night long with no heat? No, its not... come on now lol
    Last edited by Bbrazee; 02-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Thank you, Whats a UTH? That was kind of my plan in the first place, but i wasnt quite sure on if it was a good one or not.

Yes, one of them has a RI, i'm taking him to the vet tonight. and crossing my fingers that my big girl doesn't get it too. I am taking precautionary measures for her at the moment so i hope it's successful.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrazee View Post
    Whats a UTH?
    An Under Tank Heater. What do you currently use to provide heat for your snakes?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    If there is currently no heat for your snakes, thats likely the cause of your snakes RI
    Last edited by CantHelpIt; 02-05-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CantHelpIt View Post
    thats likely the cause of your snakes RI
    I was working my way to your point, but we can't draw conclusions until more facts are in.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast