Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,885

0 members and 2,885 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Genetics at this level can be mind melting. At least to me. I have been studying and studying and all I know for sure at this point is how little I actually know. I have serious doubts however that the problem in ball pythons is melanin related. There is just too much evidence to the contrary. If the neurological issues are genetically linked to anything visual my bet would be severe pattern reduction. It seems to me to be the only common thread among the morphs that display the issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Galaxygirl (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    You guys could be true, I'm just theorizing here.

Albino ferrets don't suffer Waardy even though they are lighter in color then a Panda. Pandas are Waardy even though their base color can vary and they can have other mixes in them like the mitt gene. Color genetics can be so complicated. Such as why some white dogs suffer no health problems and others that are pied would suffer health problems. It all depends on what is happening on the inside, not so much on the outside.

However, like I said, all theories here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GitaBooks For This Useful Post:

cristacake (02-25-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Bee combos?

I've found that the more you try to compare snake genetics to that of mammals the more confused you will get. Snakes are very simple genetically compared to, say, a dog. The number of alleles that contribute to the coat of a dog alone is astounding! Yes genetics are all the same across the board but trying to take a defect that occurs in mammals and compare it to a reptile is like comparing apples to oranges. Now, if you can find a snake that has a proven correlation between the lack of melanin and developmental issues and we will have a lead. But like said before, spiders do not have an inherent white (or white spot) on their head. They are yellow or brown with black markings. Maybe what you saw was blushing from a pastel spider combo?

Thanks
    Mammals certainly are complicated, but I've always found birds and reptiles even more so because they have an astoundingly larger number of color morphs (at least it would seem when you try to write them all down!) in each species. I've made a mist of dog colors and then I tried to make a list of ball python colors and man it is a lot of work! And new morphs keep appearing all the time!

However, surprisingly, the different color and shape varieties are often similar from species to species. They are leus (birds, fish, mammals, reptiles), albinos (birds, fish, mammals, reptiles, invertebrates), pied, dilutes, merle, tortoiseshell, blaze, crests (that would be in birds), scaless/hairless/featherless, melanistic, erythristic, dwarfisim, ect.
    However, I'm starting to get off subject. I just love animal genetics so much. : )

Thanks

Check out Mike Brizzee on facebook right now. He's got some photos and a video of what he thinks is a super spider he just hatched.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Check out Mike Brizzee on facebook right now. He's got some photos and a video of what he thinks is a super spider he just hatched.
    I see someone in the comment saying there was a fire sire previously, so given that it is still alive, I would think it is most likely a super fire of some sort.

Thanks

Could be. You can also see pattern on it on the neck. Looks like it has spider and Leo atleast.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Could be. You can also see pattern on it on the neck. Looks like it has spider and Leo atleast.
    Now that i look on the computer, i agree. I doubt a mojave leo superfly would look like that. I also wonder what a leo super fire or leo spider super fire would look like. There have been quite a few "nuller" animal now. I would love for it to be a super spider, but I just find that the most unlikely scenario of all. Would be awesome though.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I guess the only way to find out for sure is the grow the little guy up and see if he throws 100% spider babies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I guess the only way to find out for sure is the grow the little guy up and see if he throws 100% spider babies.
    If he's Super Spider apparently people are saying they die within a couple days. I like how when I'm looking for someone that's produced a super spide, I can never find someone, but I always find people telling me about their friend or someone else that produced one. -_- Anyway, more pattern is coming through on it, it looks intersesting and seems healthy. I'm not jumping the gun and yelling super spider just yet.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast