Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

1 members and 2,841 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Gecko afraid of snake...?

Hi everyone!

I thought I would share my experience the past few days.

I have two geckos, a giant day gecko and a crested. Both are fairly calm animals, the day gecko can even be touched which is unusual for some day geckos.

On Sunday I picked up a baby boa! Now both my geckos are acting quite strange haha. All my animals are kept in the same room. My crested was the least weird, but I did notice him getting "spooked" a lot easier than normal... Even just movement past his viv caused him to run away into the bushes a few times. But my day gecko on the other hand basically disappeared for two days straight, she hid in the plants and turned really dark green. Finally today she returned to her normal basking spot but as soon as I took the boa out of his tub she ran back into the plants... I could literally see her starring at me through the glass.

Do you think geckos can sense that a snake is in the room? Maybe either through smell or sight? At first I thought I was imagining it but after today I can easily see the day gecko is scared of the snake.... Even though the snake is kept across the room from her.

Some kind of deep rooted prey-predator relationship is taking place in my room now haha. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Will she eventually warm up to the little boa?

Dillon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Gecko afraid of snake...?

Quote Originally Posted by DLLNP View Post
    On Sunday I picked up a baby boa! Now both my geckos are acting quite strange haha. All my animals are kept in the same room.
    I would move the boa elsewhere, some diseases cross species boundaries.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...antine-process

In the wild a boa would take a lizard, they are opportunistic feeders. So, the scent of the boa in the room could be upsetting the lizards.

Thanks

Re: Gecko afraid of snake...?

Oh he had been quarantined from almost the time he was born, just not at my place! I'm guessing he must be the scent too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I don't know if you would want to quarantine again, since there are other species at this location that were not at the previous location. I have a leopard gecko and she does not fear my ball python; she's seen it quite a few times before.