Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,698

3 members and 2,695 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Yellow Ackies?

Thanks

Yellow Ackies?

I am in the process of getting some projects in the works for 2016 and among them is getting another reptile. I'd like a Tegu or savannah monitor but the space requirement isn't doable at the moment. With that said, I've been looking into Ackies, really yellows. I hear they tame down better than the reds. One thing I was wondering about is do they do fine alone or do I really need a pair? I actually only wanted 1 and I have no intentions on breeding either. I wanted to make a large 4x3x4 enclosure for it so he/she has plenty of room to explore and climb.

Another question, in general, can Ackies become tame enough to tolerate interaction from time to time? I hear different things on that. Some people say they don't and others say it depends on how much time you devote to getting them that way, though I have heard of some that get very docile.

Thanks
    Yes, most monitors can do just fine by themselves. That sounds like a great sized enclosure for an yellow ackie and should give you the opportunity to see all sorts of interesting behaviors.

In my opinion, no monitor is ever "tame". They can learn to tolerate people, but are never tame. Yellows ackies are very docile compared to other monitors. It really depends on what you define as 'interaction'.

Keeping pet reptiles is always about the keeper's goals....What are you looking for in terms of interaction?
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daniel1983 For This Useful Post:

Gemmy (11-24-2015)

Thanks

Re: Yellow Ackies?

Thank you for the info In terms of interaction, I was more-so saying getting the lizard to be comfortable with being held every once in awhile and maybe being stroked from time to time. Not wanting to be handled isn't a deal breaker for me though. I like that they seem to be out and about more in they're enclosures then some other lizards.

Thanks
    You will literally get completely different answers as to the 'tame monitor' question. You will see some keepers with giant black throats that lay on their owners lap like a dog. Other people will say that a tame monitor is a cold and unhealthy monitor. I do however believe that there are certain species of monitors that do interact well with people to a certain degree, given enough time and interaction with the animal.