Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,963

2 members and 2,961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User TheAwkwardTurtle's Avatar
    Thanks

Snake gaining weight without eating?

So this is probably going to sound very strange, but it appears my baby hoggie (who has not eaten since I got her) has gained weight without seeming to eat anything.

She started out at 10 grams when I got her. By the time I took her to the vet for the first time because she hadn't been eating for about a month she weight 8.3 grams. A week after that I took her to the vet again and she weighed 9 grams. A few days after that she weighed 8.7 grams. Two or three days ago she weighed 9 grams again and today she weighs 8.9 grams.

My theories:
    1) I put out a bowl of chicken broth in the hope that she might drink some and at least get some nutrients so it could have been that.
    2) I have put out some boiled egg cut into very small pieces for her on multiple occassions. It didn't look like she had eaten any of them, but it is possible that she ate a few tiny pieces.
    3) I have brained and split some of the pinkies I've offered her; maybe she has lapped up some of the blood or brain matter?

I'm very glad that she doesn't seem to be losing weight anymore, but I'm quite mystified as to how she has gained weight without eating anything substantial. I think these changes are too big to be caused just by drinking water or something like that (they were also all made on the same hyper accurate gram scale and corroborated by the weight taken at the vet's office).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I know this was a while back, but those changes could easily be drinking water and retaining fluid. A gallon of water weights eight pounds. It doesn't take much water to weight to add up to a couple of tenths of a gram. Even the animal just absorbing humidity through their air through the lungs can cause a tiny shift in weight like that.