Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

1 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Food Items?

Thanks

Food Items?

I've been researching (Western) hognose recently with plans to purchase a few at the upcoming Repticon to start a breeding program. I have a question about food options and was hoping someone could enlighten me.
    Most information sources list various small creatures such as toads, small frogs, lizards, eggs, and small rodents. Most of the items on the list are the natural diet of a wild hognose. My question is specifically about the small rodents - most sites I've visited haven't expanded on this. Could a hognose have an adequate diet with appropriately sized rats? I primarily raise ball pythons, and rats are a staple of their diet. I really have no interest in raising mice and am hoping that the hognose will be fine feeding on rats but want to make sure before the Repticon so I have time to order some f/t mice if needed.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Food Items?

Because they are much smaller animals the prey you offer would be very different when it comes to fat and calcium content.

The rat size used to feed an adult would be a pup (that would be for a fairly large hog) which means fatter because they still nurse and less calcium because they are still young.

Adult mice are leaner and have more calcium.

You will find out that most owner and breeder feed mice, nothing wrong with a rat here and there but personally I would not make it a staple diet.

And of course if you buy some hatchlings you will have to buy mice.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cristacake (02-17-2016),Megg (11-10-2015),SmoothScales (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for the information and great explanation! I'm glad I asked far enough in advance to get an order of f/t in before the Repticon.