Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

0 members and 3,136 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What's a good rate when buying from local feeders?

I am picking up my new son tomorrow, and I am extremely excited.

Since this is my first (and for the next few months at least) only BP, I definitely don't need to buy bulk mice. My local provider sells mice for 2.25$ each, already frozen, which is definitely a jump up from what you can get online, but does that beat the cost of shipping?

What have you experienced as a average rate for buying mice in person?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Usually you will see live adult mice at about $1.00, $1.50 would be on the higher end of the spectrum.

Check on Craiglist or ebayclassifieds.com for people who breed feeders, or check with herp owners in your area to see who they buy from.

If you buy from a specialized pet store it will be more expensive.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: What's a good rate when buying from local feeders?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Usually you will see live adult mice at about $1.00, $1.50 would be on the higher end of the spectrum.

Check on Craiglist or ebayclassifieds.com for people who breed feeders, or check with herp owners in your area to see who they buy from.

If you buy from a specialized pet store it will be more expensive.
    Wow, the guy I'm talking to is definitely going crazy with those prices then, huh??
    I did peep both those sites - the only breeder in my area is 136 miles away!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kriwu View Post
    Wow, the guy I'm talking to is definitely going crazy with those prices then, huh??
    While keeping snakes is fun, raising the *livestock* to support them, is work. Not everyone likes that work, and to do so on any scale efficiently, one also needs to spend money on feed, and on equipment, and one must dedicate indoor climate controlled space to the rodent operation. Until you do it yourself, I would just suggest that you accept that you are paying the going price for what that individual is willing to produce the product for.

We just paid $1 a piece for two of the local pet store's smallest live pinky mice, raised by the store owners.
    I have NO problem with that. Figure in store overhead, and volume; it's not like they are getting rich off it.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-08-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    While keeping snakes is fun, raising the *livestock* to support them, is work. Not everyone likes that work, and to do so on any scale efficiently, one also needs to spend money on feed, and on equipment, and one much dedicate indoor climate controlled space to the rodent operation. Until you do it, I would just accept that you are paying the going price for what that individual is willing to produce the product for.

We just paid $1 a piece for two of the local pet store's smallest live pinky mice, raised by the store owners.
    I have NO problem with that. It's not like they are getting rich off it.
    Well it's definitely a specialized pet store, so I understand why the prices are steep. I'm willing to pay the cost (because I am not going to be breeding mice/rats), I just wanted to know what most people paid, considering online you get them for .60c and 2.25$ is so much higher than that.

Thanks for your response!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It also depends on the market, and the quantity just like small rats are about $1/$1.50

If you buy large quantity weekly you get better prices.

Buying online is not expensive at all if you do it right which mean buying bulk 100 prey item min, same principal.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well it's definitely a specialized pet store, so I understand why the prices are steep. I'm willing to pay the cost (because I am not going to be breeding mice/rats), I just wanted to know what most people paid, considering online you get them for .60c and 2.25$ is so much higher than that.

Thanks for your response!
    Trash food is cheap, lab block isn't. Find out what the 60 cent people are feeding the mice - because that is what you are feeding your snake. Even with economies of scale and automation, I'm suspicious of what goes into such an inexpensive mouse. Doesn't mean the expensive producer is necessarily using quality feed either; I'd ask. I'd rather pay more for quality, if that is what I'm getting.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-08-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Trash food is cheap, lab block isn't. Find out what the 60 cent people are feeding the mice - because that is what you are feeding your snake. Even with economies of scale and automation, I'm suspicious of what goes into such an inexpensive mouse. Doesn't mean the expensive producer is necessarily using quality feed either; I'd ask. I'd rather pay more for quality, if that is what I'm getting.
    Not necessarily.

If you produce 10 of thousands of feeders a week your cost per feeder will be lower than if you produce a few hundred.

If you produce 10 of thousands of feeders you are generally a business therefore when buying your feed and bedding you will be able to be taxed exempt, you will buy both by the truck load weekly and the cost will go down tremendously. Your business strategy will be to pass on that saving to your customers who will buy larger quantities.

If you are a small local breeders producing a few hundreds of feeders and you do not do this as a business you will pay retail price on feed and bedding, your cost will be higher so will your prices, you will also sell a lot less because 1 your price are higher and 2 y oh do not produce as many.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-08-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-08-2015)

Thanks

Adding to what Deborah said, as a business you can buy from suppliers that only deal wholesale, or you get wholesale prices from suppliers that do both, which can be a big saving even before bulk discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Adding to what Deborah said, as a business you can buy from suppliers that only deal wholesale, or you get wholesale prices from suppliers that do both, which can be a big saving even before bulk discounts.
    This. My local feeder supplier raises his own feeders and I buy enough that I get wholesale pricing.