Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

1 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

House Gecko Care?

I work in a pet store and we had some house geckos come in injured. We can't sell them like that so work gave them to me. It was unplanned so I didn't have anything set up ahead of time. Not sure if anyone here keeps these or has much experience but I want to do things right.

So I now have two geckos. One has a wound on his tail about 1/4 of the way from the base of the tail. The other gecko has a dead tail tip and seems a bit lethargic in comparison to his/her tank mate, but otherwise appears normal.

I'm setting up a 10g tank with eco-earth as a substrate. If they survive, I'd like to experiment with doing a live plant tank but for now I got a fake leaf plant. I'll get more the next time I go to the store. The room they are in is my reptile room. Its around 77-79 in there with a humidity of 50%. The tank will be higher due to the eco-earth. From the caresheets I've read, they need a basking temp of 85-90.

I'll get pics of the geckos and tank once everything is set up. What would you recommend for environment, temp, and diet?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: House Gecko Care?

I know someone who found one awhile back, and she said its eating very small crickets (maybe the pinhead ones?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm attempting to breed my own crickets so I should have some pinheads soon. While I wait I can get very small crickets from work. I'll be watching some youtube videos and reading more caresheets tonight. I'm uploading pics of them now so I can get some feedback on it. I feel like one is a male, and the smaller is a female but I have no knowledge of sexing them. One is bigger than the other and the smaller one just strikes me as a female. I've heard males should not live together so I should probably find out for sure.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Definitely post pics- would be interesting to see them. Glad you were able to take them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Here are the pics.

The set up - This is a quick set up. I plan to make many improvements as I go. I know they like to hide and I'll be getting some more fake plants soon. Ideally I'd like to put in live plants but I want to research the requirements for that. For now, they have three hiding places on the ground (though I've read they will seek hiding spots up high), a thick substrate of eco-earth, an a nice large branch with fake leaves. A small water dish in the corner.

Here's the one I suspect is male. His wound is hard to see as it's not as raw as it was yesterday. In this pic, he's covered in dirt because when I went to transfer him from the deli cup to the tank, the dirt in the cup tipped over on him.

Under Construction.....

Thanks
    I've added two more fake plants. The smaller one seems to be doing well but the larger one (the one with the large wound on his tail) passed away yesterday. He'd been staying near the ground so I think his tail was affecting him or perhaps he was too stressed.

A question I have, since the smaller one is now alone, is should I get another house gecko or two so she has company? I'm assuming she's female but I have no clue.
    Under Construction.....

Banned
    Thanks

Here is the easiest way I have found to keep anoles or house geckos. Feed them to a larger snake or lizard. All jokes aside I never even see these for sale anywhere anymore other than listed as feeder animals.

Thanks
    We sell them as pets at the store where I work. I find them interesting. Seeing as I hope to start a feeder business, it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get a little group of them going if they are used as feeders.
    Under Construction.....

Banned
    Thanks

Go to www.backwaterreptiles.com you can get 25 anoles for $60 or 25 house geckos for $65.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks

You're doing fine. The care is similar to anoles just feed appropriate sized crickets and mealworms

If you wanna step inside, pay admission at the door...
    🐕
    🐱
    🐍🐍
    🐊🐊
    Total: 6❤
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)