Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,265

1 members and 1,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Looking to get my first hognose

I've been working with colubrid snakes for a few years now, and I'm starting to get bored of just the typical python or corn snake. I want something new, and I feel that hognose snakes would be the perfect new addition. The only problem? Nobody breeds them around here, and I don't want to pick one up from petco. Does anyone know of any refutable breeders that are in/near Maryland? I'm fine buying online too, but so far I haven't seen shipping prices go bellow $80. Also, does anyone have any special advice for when I actually get my hognose? I've heard it's hard to get them started with pinkies, but I'm sure there's more I should know about the breed. My housing plan is a 30 gallon terrarium with all the bare necessaries and a few hides. I'm just looking for some advice since I haven't worked with the breed before. Thanks for reading!

-Katie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Get a female, they tend to feed better and stay on feed year round - if you're not brumating. There's nothing wrong or unnatural about a male nasicus going off feed but it tends to worry new keepers. I have had good success scenting with boiled egg white for hatchlings I've bought that weren't showing interest in pinky mice - just thaw the pinky in some water with a piece of the egg.

Shipping over $80 seems a bit steep for such a small snake/package. A lot of folks offer a $40-50 flat rate or even include shipping in the price. If you haven't already, check out kingsnake.com, faunaclassifieds.com and marketplace.thereptilereport.com for a good sampling of ads.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-12-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Looking to get my first hognose

If you get an hatchling make sure you do not start it of with a 30 Gallons or you will run into issues.

As far as breeders I do not know of anyone in Maryland but I know a few people I would recommend

Mike Russo located in NJ, Mike has ads on kingsnakes.

Steve Beamer at The Reptile Collective https://m.facebook.com/ReptileCollective

https://m.facebook.com/CahabaRiverReptiles

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-12-2015),Megg (09-18-2015)

Thanks

Thank you both for the advice. I've decided to get a female to start with, but I might pick up a few males for future breedings. As for tank sizes, is 20 gallons too big to start a hatchling? I do have a few small RUB's I can use if that's the case.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Still too big, remember that an hatchling will be a few grams, 6 quart will do fine until the animal is a year or so (75/100 grams) after that 20 gallons will work.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    I bought one for my significant other recently and it terrifies me. Seriously.