Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

3 members and 3,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Help! My Yellow Rat Snake won't eat!

I have a w/c Yellow Rat Snake, which was caught as a tiny guy, just past the hatchling stage. I know, I know; if I knew then what I know now, I would not have kept him and released him immediately back into the wild, but it is too late now. Anyway, he is now 11 months old, about 3 ft long, maybe longer, and looks very thick and healthy. However, after having a great appetite all his life, even though he would only accept small feeders (mouse pinkies and fuzzies), he now doesn't seem at all interested. Actually he SEEMS interested, he just doesn't follow through with it. I had been feeding him fuzzies for a couple months, 4 sometimes more at a time and he seemed content with this. Then I decided to "graduate" him to hoppers, since he is definitely the right size for them. He ate one, but refused them after that. Then he refused fuzzies and would only eat pinkies. Now, he won't them. I have tried rat pinks, also. That didn't go over at all. He likes his mice. Anyway, I thought rat snakes were low maintenance eaters. I have 12 BPs and never had a problem with any of them as I have had with him. It has been 3 weeks now that he has not eaten. BTW, he has been on F/T for most of his life. Please, what should I do to get my little guy to eat?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Pictures? What's your setup?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Help! My Yellow Rat Snake won't eat!

Most w/c snakes are loaded with endoparasites and that should be the first suspicion in a non-feeding snake. Even though he has done well up to this point, most snakes do tolerate a certain level of parasitism. Then certain conditions will allow those levels to rise and cause the inappetance. Of course it doesn't have to be a parasite but as soon as you see the inappetance that should be ruled out. Especially in w/c individuals.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Pictures? What's your setup?
    Hi, John. He is in a 20 gal tank, on aspen bedding, very thick so he can burrow. We are going to upgrade him to a 30 gal, this weekend, actually. His warm side is kept at around 87. He is a FL snake, and we live in FL, so temps aren't too much of a concern. He has a hide on his warm side, a couple sturdy branches to climb around on when he wants to act like a tree. Fresh water every 2 days or so. He looks like he is hungry. He comes out and watches my every move when I come in the room, his tongue flicking like crazy. This is just so strange. He used to be a greedy eater.

Thanks

Albert, thank you so much for your response. I had thought about that, but thought that since he has grown and flourished, I had nothing to worry about. I am going to take a poop sample to my vet asap. I think this just might be what is wrong. What do they do to get rid of the parasites? Also, what should I put the sample in? Should it be refrigerated? What a question, huh? But, I'm really concerned about my little guy. He is such a little character; I hope he is OK.

Thanks
    I asked for pictures because you described him as "very thick and healthy" and I was curious to see your idea of thick. Pantherophis are not thick snakes by default so my first thought was you just overfed the heck out of him and you have the rare beast that knows when to say no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by platinumbp View Post
    Albert, thank you so much for your response. I had thought about that, but thought that since he has grown and flourished, I had nothing to worry about. I am going to take a poop sample to my vet asap. I think this just might be what is wrong. What do they do to get rid of the parasites? Also, what should I put the sample in? Should it be refrigerated? What a question, huh? But, I'm really concerned about my little guy. He is such a little character; I hope he is OK.
    A little ziplock bag is fine. It's best to get a fresh sample to the vet the same day but if you can't do that just toss it in the fridge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I asked for pictures because you described him as "very thick and healthy" and I was curious to see your idea of thick. Pantherophis are not thick snakes by default so my first thought was you just overfed the heck out of him and you have the rare beast that knows when to say no.
    Hi, John! When I described as "thick and healthy" I meant for a colubrid, and compared to the little slip of a guy he used to be. He is nearly a year old now and I am amazed at how much he's grown since we found him last Oct He is about the width of...a hot dog, which is nothing compared to my Balls, of course, but much thicker than he was just a few months ago.