Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,962

1 members and 1,961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Hypo het albino : good deal?

Hi

there is someone in my area offering their 2.5 ft hypo het albino boa, along with tank, heat, lighting, thermostat, hygrometer, for under $125 due to family issues with the animal. Snake is apparently very tame. Seller is not a breeder so I don't know if I can trust the het, but I'm waiting for pics to see if there are albinism markers.

from my research on kingsnake and the internet, a hypo is going for around 150, and a hypo het albino is going for around 200.

seems like a great deal to me, but it has been a week since the snake was originally offered online and it hasn't sold yet, so I am wondering if the deal is not as good as I think it is. Please let me know your opinion SPECIFICALLY regarding if it's a good deal. Info on husbandry is not needed.

thank you
    lumien

Thanks
    If the animal is actually het albino it is a great deal. It is always hard knowing for sure about hets, especially when offered from a non-breeder. But 125$ is good for a hypo as is. FYI there aren't any dependable albino markers for boas. I have however noticed that whenever I produce het albino babies they have a certain subtle characteristic, but its never anything definitive.

With all the other equipment, pending that it actually works well, it is a deal and a half.

If you have other snakes in a collection, please quarantine before bringing in the animal.

Thanks

Re: Hypo het albino : good deal?

Thanks for the info. I understand the the "markers" are unreliable and some don't trust that they really exist. It would simply be a way for me to try verify what the seller was telling me.

thanks again,

Lumien

Thanks
    Yeah that's the best you can do. Recessive traits can only be proved out karyotyping or breeding to visuals.