Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,535

2 members and 3,533 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Want to start small feeder business

One of the things I find lacking where I live is a good local source of feeders, both rodent and insect. Other than the big stores like Petsmart and Petco, there are only two stores in the area that carry feeders. One of those stores I don't use due to frequent mite infestations with their mice and rats. The other store does a good job, but they are about 45 minutes from my house.

So I had the thought to start up a small feeder business to cater to the reptile people in my area. I'd start small with just rats, mice, superworms, mealworms, and dubia, and see where things go. (If it goes well, I can expand into rabbits, ASF, and other non-rodent feeders).

One of my concerns is that I may make enemies with the other feeder suppliers. I'm in the process of acquiring a few rat racks and I've been getting my breeders from the store that's 45 min away. He's a nice guy and he's doing a good job with the store (its pretty much the only good reptile store in the area). I don't want to take away his business but at the same time, I often hear complaints from friends and others that the store's location isn't ideal.

How should I go about this in a way that I'm not going to cause him problems by taking a bunch of business but I can still establish myself as a feeder producer? I would provide locally as well as vend at reptile shows.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Competition is a fact of commercial life. It establishes boundaries, for sure, but competitors need not be enemies.

Really none of his business if you want to do this. If more feeders are easily available, there will be more people keeping herps, and more business all around.

Complete lack of feeder rodents around my area is a top reason why I'm not keeping any snakes. I've considered raising my own, and raising more to sell (what a great way to meet others in the hobby). However, the rodents need a heated space in the winter, and that is NOT going to work in our tiny house!
    Last edited by distaff; 08-22-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Considering that I know the store you're talking about, I really don't see the owner having much of a problem with it. A retailer 45 minutes away isn't that much of a threat. The closest competition my small business has is less than a mile away and we're still swamped with work. That said, I initially tried to play nice and cooperate since we have very different business models anyway, but the owner immediately tried to talk down my business and got pretty nasty about it, and ultimately it backfired on him since now there are many people who will never darken his doorstep again.

So, I would start the business and offer to cooperate, especially if you want to try wholesaling any extra feeders should you have any, or if you produce feeders he doesn't typically stock.

Thanks

Re: Want to start small feeder business

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

How should I go about this in a way that I'm not going to cause him problems by taking a bunch of business but I can still establish myself as a feeder producer? I would provide locally as well as vend at reptile shows.
    You can't have it both ways. Either you want to be successful, or you don't. He does not care about your feelings. He cares about the money you spend in his store. You don't go into business to be friends with everyone. You go into business to make money. If he fails, he was going to anyway. Provide a better service, a better price and product and leave him in the dust.

Thanks
    I'm finding I have almost the same problem as the OP. One pet store is a long enough drive to be inconvenient, and the other isn't as reliable as I'd like with his stock. There have been several times he's been completely out of the sizes I need. Unfortunately, I don't know of any local breeders (I've asked in the FB Feeders group), so I've started doing research on what it will take to start and maintain a healthy feeder colony. My biggest problem atm is figuring out where to get the starting breeders. The most common answer I see is 'from a local breeder', but without being able to find one, where do you get the rats?

If it makes any difference, I would only be interested in producing enough for my own snakes and would either convert the excess to f/t or possibly sell to the nearer pet store, maybe making him a bit more reliable with stock for other reptile owners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    I'm finding I have almost the same problem as the OP. One pet store is a long enough drive to be inconvenient, and the other isn't as reliable as I'd like with his stock. There have been several times he's been completely out of the sizes I need. Unfortunately, I don't know of any local breeders (I've asked in the FB Feeders group), so I've started doing research on what it will take to start and maintain a healthy feeder colony. My biggest problem atm is figuring out where to get the starting breeders. The most common answer I see is 'from a local breeder', but without being able to find one, where do you get the rats?

If it makes any difference, I would only be interested in producing enough for my own snakes and would either convert the excess to f/t or possibly sell to the nearer pet store, maybe making him a bit more reliable with stock for other reptile owners.
    Go to a reptile show if there's one near you and buy as many rats as you need to get going.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Keeper For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (09-15-2015)

Thanks

I was lucky enough to find a breeder, but the first 8 breeders I did buy came from petco @ 12 a piece...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I breed my own mice n rats for my 3 bp's. When I get over run with them I place them free on craigslist, (males only). I got them free to begin with so I pay it forward to others. My opportunity to meet local breeders and so on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Keeper View Post
    Go to a reptile show if there's one near you and buy as many rats as you need to get going.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Great advice! Thanks. There's one in Oct in Las Vegas and if I miss that one, there's another in LA in November that's much closer.

Thanks
    Just a bit of an update. I've gotten two rat racks and have a few litters on the ground. So it's enough to breed for what we need for our own collection, but not enough to sell extras (much less start a business), so we are working on getting a few more racks built and we've started on mice and dubia. I have a few people who have said they'd buy from me so I'm hoping this takes off. Thanks for all the responses.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast