Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

1 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Mice keep cannibalizing litters!!

Not enough protein in their diet makes them do this. Learned from a breeder. Add more protein to their diets and they'll stop eating their young. They chew their hides because they are bored/stressed. Poor diet also adds to stress.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

darkranger69 (08-14-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    very interesting!!!! thank you, i also have this problem time to time specially when the babies are left in the breeding cage with my rats 1.3 ratio. i m making more individual boxes but still had 2 litters massacred. what do you suggest as protein food?
    1.0 superstripe, killerbee, OD spider fire, black pastel YB, black specter, pastel dinker, spider dinker, banana, banana cinnamon, enchi fire OD, fire dream bee het. russo, pastel superstripe, 2.0 firefly dream YB.

0.2 superpastel yb, 0.2 enchi, 0.1 yellowbelly 0.2 cinnamon, 0.2 normal, 0.1 black widow, black pewter, fire, lemon pastel, pastel, black pastel, bumblebee, spider granite, het. russo, super pastel, pastel specter, specter,lesser pin, OD, fire OD, OD fire het. russo, OD pastel, firefly dream YB, fire bee het. russo, lemon pastel enchi, citrus super enchi, super pastel enchi, pastel ivory, bumblebee dinker

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Deborah has been in this business for a long while. I'd trust her 100% on her advice 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solarsoldier001 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (08-14-2015),Tash (08-14-2015)

Thanks

Deborah gave the best advice. And since I am not a breeder I couldn't tell you the best. I know the breeder I went through let her mice chew on chicken bone and gave them bugs, among other things. People are always sharing their diet mixtures and advice on how they achieve a higher protien. Hopefully someone will chime in and share their recipes with you.

Thanks
    Feed them better

Thanks

It has 18% protein, and most of the same ingredients as any lab block you feed them. I even still give them some actual mouse food. If it were the food, wouldn't all my animals be cannibalizing their babies? It's only this group. It doesn't matter anyways, as I am now having to sell all my breeders.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Try separating out your moms into smaller groups, 1-2 per cage. Agreed that the food is garbage and changing to something better would be wise, you want quality food going into your feeders, not stuff full of crappy dyes and cancer causing preservatives.

Thanks

How come you have to sell them?
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I also just had my first batch of mouse babies and found them right when the mice were eating the young. I did a full cage clean and disinfected everything, within an hour or so they were giving birth and eating their young. In my case I think it was just bad timing to be cleaning the cages, but I had to, it's the weekend and the only time I can do weekly cleanings. I feed really good, I feed a mix of Masuri, pig pellets with 16% protein, chicken scratch, just started adding some nutty bird food (almost all nuts), also feed a lot of fruit and veggies including oranges, snow peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.. I separated my females, hopefully I'll get one or two young out of the deal. If not I'm considering feeding the adults to my ball pythons. I have another batch of young mice that haven't bred yet, maybe I'll have better luck with that batch. I also have ASFs that just had a batch of babies as well as several pairs of regular rats. I started with all three types of rodents and will see who fairs best! I like the idea of separating my females into pairs and rotating the male through. If someone cannibalizes at least they all won't learn to eat their young, seems like my whole tank ended up with that bad habit, I'm guessing it's a learned behavior.

Last edited by cchardwick; 04-30-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Unless Doggie Brand has changed their formula it's still fine. Some mice are just cannibals. If all your other animals are doing fine and not eating babies my guess would be that these individuals, because of genetics or environment, are simply baby eaters. If my mice eat a first litter I let it go, if they eat a second they go to the snakes.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast