Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,569

2 members and 2,567 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Savannah monitor hep!!!

Hey guys, my savannah monitor hasn't pooped in a while until yesterday. I used to use a paper towel as a substrate as i thought it was ok as the guy who sold it to me and one of my buddies who has a monitor used it. i now changed my subsrate to eco earth. I pour a cup of water into it twice a day as well a mist the tank a few times a day. The temperature of the tank is usually around 110-116 basking and 90ish on the cool side. Theres a few reasons why im concerned about my monitor though. he doesnt move around that much. He barely eats and doesnt go straight killer mode and run straight after the crickets when i put them in. he has an odd lump over his back legs on his spine. when i put him in the bath to swim sometimes his back legs look stiff and hill flip over when trying to swim, also hell make a weird sound from his stomach like theres an air pocket in there or hes having trouble digesting or something Here are pics below and i understand the tank isnt as big as it should be nor should it be glass. I have a 6 foot long wood tank im eventually going to move him too. Please dont bash me for making mistakes or not doing everything right from the start because im activly trying to fix it, oh another thing he refuses to eat mealworms, wax worms or dead crickets i thought he was supposed to be less picky than my beardie lol and btw ive had him since april. https://www.flickr.com/photos/924438.../in/datetaken/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/924438.../in/datetaken/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/924438.../in/datetaken/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/924438.../in/datetaken/ thanks in advance guys i really appreciate the help

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What are you doing for UV lighting?

Thanks
    I don't have a savvy yet, but have been doing extensive research in preparation for one. But I have had large lizards before. From what I have read you need to increase the basking temps. Most keepers have their savvy with a 130-150 degree basking spot

Paper towels won't work for a burrowing lizard like these. There is a chance that he is/was dehydrated and impacted. The lumps on the legs sound like gout to me
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 07-29-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    That doesnt look good.......

Thanks
    I was told i didnt need uv for them, i looked online and lot of people say uv is needed so idk if i it that or not with him, and i was thinking since the tank is small if i make the basking spot too hot his cold spot maybe too hot as well? what would you reccomend it do, he also does not burrow

Thanks
    How are you taking basking temps? You need an infrared gun to get accurate readings. Your temps might not even be as hot as you think.

UV isn't necessary. I know you said you are going to switch enclosures, but that exoterra tank is wrong for a savvy.

I would bet bet once you get his temps up he will begin eating better. Are you dusting food items with supps?

Try a warm bath for hydration and helping any possible impaction.

Thanks
    Almost every lizard I know of need some type of UV and yes that tank is WAY too small and wrong.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 07-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    The UV debate for monitors is pretty extensive. But from what I have seen the opinion of experts is swaying towards it not being necessary. Provided the animal has a diet including whole prey items

Thanks
    Ok back to helping this sav out. What have you been feeding?

Even though most don't need UVB, this guy could be suffering from a poor diet from the previous owner and might benefit from some uvb to offset potential metabolic bone disease.

first I would get him into a larger tank, with a much hotter basking spot. A good soak in warm water for hydration and some dusted roaches and maybe a pinky mouse if he will take it.

Thanks

Re: Savannah monitor hep!!!

There are so many things wrong with your setup that there could be a number of health issues with this guy....there is no way you are providing the right temp gradient, basking temps, humidity, etc...I could sit here and type everything out for you, but honestly I am to the point where I have noticed most people ignore the advice they are given. So do yourself a favor and go to varanustalk.com and do some reading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast