Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,965

0 members and 2,965 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BP help needed

Thanks

BP help needed

I ordered a og online on July 2nd he's about 2 months old, I'm worried since he hasn't eaten at all. I've tried live mice>dead mice, and thawed rats. He showed some food response but never acted was just scared or when left in didn't bother with it. When should I consider assist feeding? Or should I move him to a plastic tub? If so how do you set one up for heat since I do live in a very harsh winter weather state? I'd hope worse case scenario he hasn't eaten for 3 weeks and just worried for him. He still has some girth but I can tell it isn't as big. He does have a small dent near his tail, which someone said could be constipation but it's pretty small and I feel a bath would stress him out a lot. He's very used to his cage, he has a 20 gallon long, newspaper, 85 degree heat, log hiding spot, he even uses the newspaper for it, and I plan to raise his humidity. I know bp are picky eaters, but I'm not sure when is too long especially since he's so young. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    He was shipped in only two weeks ago so it's not surprising he's not eating yet.

The seller (Snakes at Sunset) advised to feed him live fuzzy mice. Most babies start on live large-ish fuzzies or small-ish hoppers. I wouldn't fool with f/t or rats until he's taken at least three meals.

A 20-long tank is way too big and open for a baby, he was probably in a 6 qt shoebox tub before you got him. What he needs now is a small latchbox tub (these have lids that are more secure than regular tubs if you're not using a rack), heat pad with thermostat set so his belly heat is 86-87*F under 1/3 of the tub, some aspen to burrow under, a small hide, and a water bowl. I would also cover it with a small towel or piece of newspaper so it's nice and dark.

Leave him alone for 5-7 days after you move him to the tub, then offer him a live mouse fuzzy in his tub, close it back up, and walk away. Check on him in an hour - normally you have to monitor live feedings but a mouse fuzzy can't hurt him.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-17-2015 at 11:14 AM.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-06-2015),DVirginiana (07-17-2015),maausen (07-19-2015),ssg150102 (08-03-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (07-17-2015),wolfy-hound (09-04-2015)

Thanks
    In addition to what bcr said, I've found that having fake plants strewn around between hides helps them calm down a lot. It can't hurt at any rate, and they're pretty cheap. Just wash them first so that weird perfume smell they have coming from the store isn't there.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (09-04-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP help needed

I just posted this yesterday in a similar thread so I am just copying it here

Assist feeding should be done as a last resort

If you have not done so here is what you need to do

Set your snake up in a 6 quarts tub (max) with aspen as bedding, use a plastic flower pot saucer as an hide (6 inches wide)

Provide a hot spot of 88 degrees (max), leave it alone for a week (no handling) and offer a live mousse hopper in the enclosure. Prey should be as big as the girth size of your snake.

Stick with mice for now as they are more enticing.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-06-2015),Chkadii (07-29-2015),maausen (07-19-2015),wolfy-hound (09-04-2015)

Thanks

Lets say I used all my available funds on his enclosure, him, and other things for him like food. Do you think moving him to a 10 gallon aquarium, use bark bedding(or newspaper/papertowels), with a heating pad, towel for humidity, and his heat lamp be better? Even maybe tape the sides dark so he feels more secure? (Not tape inside, outside which he can not touch) And maybe even remove his log for a hide box?(Though the log is probably better as he can bask) I just never figured a bp would be this picky about eating. And I have 0 clue how to set up a tubs always used tanks.

Thanks

Here's what I have, these choices for his water dish, excuse the gunk in the water I'm cleaning my corn snakes cage which is also why he's in there, and the other cage image is his current water dish he tends to bathe in.

These are his current hide choices.

His bark bedding that I use for my corn snake which I hear is good for humidity though he might be used to newspaper regardless he'll have a towel to keep it nice and humid.

And this is him when he got here

This is him now

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    First and foremost, your new snake should never be anywhere near your other snakes until it is out of quarantine. Otherwise you risk transmitting mites and a whole slew of nasty diseases from your new critter to your established collection.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...antine-process

Next there is a long thread on how to set up a tank for a ball python:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-With-Pictures!

Finally, both of those hides are inappropriate - they are way too big and the openings are too big to make your snake feel secure. Your ball python needs a hide with a tiny opening barely big enough to squeeze into, and the hide itself should be just barely big enough to hold your snake.

In the wild ball pythons spend much of their time underground in termite mounds. Wide, open spaces stress them out to the point they stop eating.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ssg150102 (07-19-2015),wolfy-hound (09-04-2015)

Thanks
    Anything that is open on two ends like the half-log isn't secure enough for a BP. If you don't have the money to get a $3.00 plastic flower pot from walmart and cut a hole in the collecting dish to use for a hide, you're going to be screwed if one of your animals gets sick.

Seconding what bcr said about quarantine procedures. Very important.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Also don't tape up entire walls of the enclosure. Just use construction paper. Getting tape off of glass can be a pain.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

He wasn't in that 10 gallon, thinking of moving him in there. Adonis my corn snake is very healthy, I've had him for over 4 months, he also just finished a perfect shed and recently examined for respiratory issues. I had planned to clean the cage regardless I had already got wished to ask on here first. I could buy a garden hide, but is closed back best? And help on the others would be good.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast