Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,499

1 members and 2,498 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Possible burn/scale rot?

I noticed this discoloration on Barry's scales while feeding him. What do you think this is? Humidity is always between 50-60 and dry paper towels are used for substrate. He's fed frozen pups and is a little over a month old. No UTH or heat rocks are utilized in his enclosure.

Thanks
    Does the discoloration continue onto the belly or not? Hmm.. Doesn't look 100% like a burn to me, but just to make sure all the bases are covered, you're regulating your heat source with a thermostat, right? Also, is there any way he could come into contact with the heat source or metal directly heated by the heat source (like if you have a lamp on a cage top)?

'Scale rot' generally happens on the belly and is due to unsanitary or too-wet cage conditions and usually appears brown rather than red. However, bacterial skin infections can also look red. Without more info on exactly how you're heating the enclosure, I wouldn't rule that possibility out entirely.

Regardless, this doesn't look too serious at the moment. I think it'd be a good idea to swab the area with betadine (totally harmless disinfectant) just in case; if it's an infection it'll combat it and if it's a burn it'll keep infection from setting in. Keep an eye out for any changes in the size or color of the affected area and in the meantime do a good double check on your heat sources.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Capps14e (07-07-2015)

Thanks

Re: Possible burn/scale rot?

Haven't had a look at the belly yet, I'll check tomorrow after he's digested a bit. I do have a heat lamp suspended a few inches about the cage top. It's possible that he could get that part of his body up there, but it would be odd. I don't use a thermostat but instead use a digital thermometer that keeps track of the highs and lows throughout the day; today's hi being 90 and the low 75. Here's a picture of the enclosure. He typically spends the majority of his time in the cool hide to the right.

Thank you. I'll continue to monitor it.
    Last edited by Capps14e; 07-06-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Registered User blackpastelball's Avatar
    Thanks

Now I'm no expert to this field by any means, I am a relatively new BP owner myself, but I have done alot of research and read alot of forums this far. I see you are heating you're enclosure with just the lamp alone correct? Ball pythons benefit from belly heat rather than dorsal heat, therefore I would suggest adding an UTH on one side of the tank regulated by a thermostat to get your hot side (88-90) and place the lamp with a dimmer switch near the cooler end of the tank. This will keep the ambient temperatures up in the tank while heating the substrate on the cool end of the tank to the proper 82-84 degrees. This is how I set up my 20 gallon tank and I am maintaining prefect temps finally and prefect humidity. I also built a special screen cover to keep the humidity up and trap some of the warm air in. If you would like to see any pictures please let me know, just trying to help another new owner out I would also invest in an infrared temp gun ($14 on amazon) I found that my lamp was getting to hot and directly underneath it temps were reaching near the hundreds so I got a dimmer switch to regulate the temp, perhaps that's why he is always on the cool side?

I hope whatever that is heals up!
    Last edited by blackpastelball; 07-06-2015 at 11:52 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blackpastelball For This Useful Post:

herpin'hippie (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    I've heard it both ways. Seems to mostly be up to personal preference. I do have a temp gun and the temp stays fairly consistent. Usually low 80s on the cool side inside his box, lower at night.

Thanks
    I just want to make it clear that I use ceramic bulbs at night and UV for a short day cycle. My BPs have very closed off hides and get the heat they need. It's not difficult to manage temps in FL during the summer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Capps14e For This Useful Post:

YZGuy79 (07-12-2015)

Registered User blackpastelball's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capps14e View Post
    I just want to make it clear that I use ceramic bulbs at night and UV for a short day cycle. My BPs have very closed off hides and get the heat they need. It's not difficult to manage temps in FL during the summer.
    Lol that's why, yeah I live in Minnesota so temps fluctuate so much and ambient temperatures are generally cooler

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Does the discoloration continue onto the belly or not? Hmm.. Doesn't look 100% like a burn to me, but just to make sure all the bases are covered, you're regulating your heat source with a thermostat, right? Also, is there any way he could come into contact with the heat source or metal directly heated by the heat source (like if you have a lamp on a cage top)?

'Scale rot' generally happens on the belly and is due to unsanitary or too-wet cage conditions and usually appears brown rather than red. However, bacterial skin infections can also look red. Without more info on exactly how you're heating the enclosure, I wouldn't rule that possibility out entirely.

Regardless, this doesn't look too serious at the moment. I think it'd be a good idea to swab the area with betadine (totally harmless disinfectant) just in case; if it's an infection it'll combat it and if it's a burn it'll keep infection from setting in. Keep an eye out for any changes in the size or color of the affected area and in the meantime do a good double check on your heat sources.
    Upon further inspection, it appears that it was just blood from the food. I'm still not used to having a snake with such a fair complexion! I imagine the upturned-looking scales were just a result of his positioning.