Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Gloria Gets a New Enclosure!

Long time no see! The past few months have been a crazy combination of field work and international travel - BUT now that I'm settled back at home I wanted to share Gloria's much-awaited new enclosure.

I opted for an Animal Plastics T10 with a Pro-Heat 80watt RHP regulated by a Herpstat Intro+ thermostat. I installed some 2.5" PVC pipes across the enclosure so Gloria could roam vertically as well as horizontally. So far she seems to enjoy taking advantage of the extra space! I think she likes the new levels as a "alternate route" when cruising around at night.

The enclosure is illuminated by an LED aquarium strip that operates in a variety of colors. (Gloria seems to like blue the best)

The T10 was super easy to construct, and I had Animal Plastics pre-install the RHP for me. Waiting 12 weeks for the unit to ship, 5-7 days for the silicone sealant to cure, and another 5-7 days for the entire unit to de-gas was hard. But I didn't want to expose Gloria to tacky substances and stinky, hot-fiberglass odors. Despite the wait, I would highly recommend AP and Pro-Heat products for BP owners. Everything is very nicely constructed and the whole unit looks very professional.

The 95+ outside temps in Oregon have been a little tough to manage without AC, but the enclosure never gets above 85 on the cool side, and usually hovers around 78-82. Hot side is always 88-91. When it isn't ridiculously hot outside, the enclosure is very easy to keep at optimum temperatures. And maintaining 50-60% humidity is a breeze, even with newspaper!

I'm very excited to watch Gloria continue to grow into her new space.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thejennabird For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-06-2015),Reinz (07-06-2015),se7en (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    this is ridiculously cool haha. im jealous for my snake :p

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tvpthemvp For This Useful Post:

thejennabird (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Very nice setup!

I really like the perches and lighting too. Thanks for the detailed explanations as well.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Gloria Gets a New Enclosure!

Quote Originally Posted by thejennabird View Post
    Long time no see! The past few months have been a crazy combination of field work and international travel - BUT now that I'm settled back at home I wanted to share Gloria's much-awaited new enclosure.

I opted for an Animal Plastics T10 with a Pro-Heat 80watt RHP regulated by a Herpstat Intro+ thermostat. I installed some 2.5" PVC pipes across the enclosure so Gloria could roam vertically as well as horizontally. So far she seems to enjoy taking advantage of the extra space! I think she likes the new levels as a "alternate route" when cruising around at night.

The enclosure is illuminated by an LED aquarium strip that operates in a variety of colors. (Gloria seems to like blue the best)

The T10 was super easy to construct, and I had Animal Plastics pre-install the RHP for me. Waiting 12 weeks for the unit to ship, 5-7 days for the silicone sealant to cure, and another 5-7 days for the entire unit to de-gas was hard. But I didn't want to expose Gloria to tacky substances and stinky, hot-fiberglass odors. Despite the wait, I would highly recommend AP and Pro-Heat products for BP owners. Everything is very nicely constructed and the whole unit looks very professional.

The 95+ outside temps in Oregon have been a little tough to manage without AC, but the enclosure never gets above 85 on the cool side, and usually hovers around 78-82. Hot side is always 88-91. When it isn't ridiculously hot outside, the enclosure is very easy to keep at optimum temperatures. And maintaining 50-60% humidity is a breeze, even with newspaper!

I'm very excited to watch Gloria continue to grow into her new space.
    Beautiful!

I really like seeing cages like this, and you did a nice job with the perches. I moved our royal into a new plastic enclosure and kept the perches I had in their for the carpet python. I agree that giving "options" is a nice touch.

I really enjoy the looks of the AP cages.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like this. Construction question: Are the PVC perches attached with just the brackets? Orrrr... Idk. I was trying to figure out how you did it.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Beautiful enclosure!

I wish I could get stuff from Animal Plastics here in the Netherlands!
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    I like this. Construction question: Are the PVC perches attached with just the brackets? Orrrr... Idk. I was trying to figure out how you did it.
    Looks like the shower rod holders.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsanford For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    Tsanford is correct that I used plastic shower rod/closet rod brackets (just like these). Because I didn't have any screws short enough, I just used a healthy dose of hot glue to affix them to the sides of the cage. I know just using hot glue sounds crazy, but they stuck surprisingly well! The bottom (long) pole just rests on the brackets and is removable. It's a very snug fit with no gaps or cracks. The top pole is both resting and glued onto the brackets.

We weight-tested both poles to 12lbs without sagging, breaking, or popping out of their holders. Though personally I hope Gloria never gets THAT big.

I can provide some additional detail pictures if that would help.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thejennabird For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (07-08-2015),CrazyPiston (07-13-2015)

Thanks

I'd be interested in seeing up close shots of the enclosure itself.. That way I have a better idea on how to construct one myself. I've been wanting to set up a display case with either a jungle or GTP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsanford View Post
    Looks like the shower rod holders.

Yeah that's what it is! I was more wondering how they were affixed to the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by thejennabird View Post
    Tsanford is correct that I used plastic shower rod/closet rod brackets (just like these). Because I didn't have any screws short enough, I just used a healthy dose of hot glue to affix them to the sides of the cage. I know just using hot glue sounds crazy, but they stuck surprisingly well! The bottom (long) pole just rests on the brackets and is removable. It's a very snug fit with no gaps or cracks. The top pole is both resting and glued onto the brackets.

We weight-tested both poles to 12lbs without sagging, breaking, or popping out of their holders. Though personally I hope Gloria never gets THAT big.

I can provide some additional detail pictures if that would help.
    OK yeah, I figured screws would be choice #1 but after that I wasn't sure. Don't let Gloria be too much of a fatty 12 lbs would be big!!! I would appreciate a couple shots up close, as I too am interested in how to put this together as seamlessly as possible. Thanks for the info
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast