Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Interested but wont take food?

So my 1300g girl just started refusing her small f/t rats the last couple of weeks. She's never ever refused a meal in a year. Nothing has changed about her enclosure. I'll look in and she looks to be in feed mode all the time, that is, partially in her hide with her head resting out, waiting for something. When I offer the f/t rat to her (also tried a f/t rat pup tonight) she is very interested, tracking it with her tongue flicking and acting as if she will take it like she always does, but then she just doesn't and loses interest. Could it be that she is entering the "1000g fast"? Or any ideas from anyone else as to what I can try/what this means?

On another note our Lesser girl that laid a couple weeks ago and has been off feed for almost 5 months ate her first f/t sm rat tonight!

Annnd here's some older pics of the cutie in question:

Thanks
    The ball python wall.. Nothing to worry about! I had a girl go 1 year without eating. Dropped 6 eggs(paired last year held the sperm) And now is taking rats like a Boa!!! Just keep and eye on her weight!

Something you could attempt to do, is put Either a Male, or Fresh male shed in with her, sometimes this kicks up their feed response.
    Last edited by CORBIN911; 05-29-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Re: Interested but wont take food?

What morph is this??

Thanks

When mine exhibit this behavior, I often just leave the rat in the enclosure for an hour or so. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But no need to worry about missing a few meals. BPs can go for a long time without eating and be fine.

Thanks

Kinley- She's a Bumblebee! (Pastel Spider)

Thanks for the response guys! Last time she ate was 5/6/2015, so not too long ago. I tried feeding her again last night and same deal. Acting interested but wont go for it. I was hoping she wouldn't go into the fast, as she's been the best eater ever, but I'm fine with it I guess! She has a clean cage and I gave her two new hides to try to change things up, as that can get them to eat. I also tried touching her body with the rat, as that gets two of my girls going, but she hated that and retreated right away to her hide. I'll try leaving it in with her next time, though she's never been one to eat like that. I can also try the male shed. We're selling our only male soon though, so I'll have to see if he sheds before he goes.

And just because I like to share, here's a group pic of our current pythons:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galaxygirl For This Useful Post:

duckschainsaw (05-29-2015),kinley (05-30-2015)

Thanks

I've always been drawn to the yellow pigments over the darker ones. She is absolutely beautiful. Probably one one the most beautiful bumblebees I've ever seen. Especially at that size, because many tend to brown out quite a bit. My dear rescue, Howard is a bumblebee as well, I can only hope I get him to looking somewhat as regal as your baby does

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kinley View Post
    I've always been drawn to the yellow pigments over the darker ones. She is absolutely beautiful. Probably one one the most beautiful bumblebees I've ever seen. Especially at that size, because many tend to brown out quite a bit. My dear rescue, Howard is a bumblebee as well, I can only hope I get him to looking somewhat as regal as your baby does

Thank you!! We picked her out because she was much brighter than the other Bumblebees we've seen, and yes, she's held her color really well! The group picture was just taken with her at around 1300g.

Oh, Howard is the one that you rescued, right? I remember that name from another post. I told my boyfriend about him and your story. He's really cute and I love his name, I'm glad he's in good hands. Armin was bought as a male, so that's why she has a more masculine name. Didn't want to change it when we found out she was actually a little girl (:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: Interested but wont take food?

Great group you have there! I would just increase the time between offerings by a few days. Make sure she isn't ill, and keep track of her weight. Don't worry when she is ready she will eat.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Galaxygirl (05-30-2015)