Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

0 members and 3,159 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

possible blood python owner? all opinions are NEEDED

hi! Maudie here. so basically... I'm pretty experienced with ball pythons, but I have never owned any other type of snake, although I have done a pretty decent sized chunk of research on them all. I think blood pythons are so awesome and am dying to own one. I know that ball pythons are pretty much a beginner snake, and blood pythons are like the exact opposite. so I wanted some of your opinions. do you think I'd be crazy to go from balls to bloods? all opinions are 100% wanted, thanks in advance.

Maudie

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I wouldn't say they are the exact opposite, they are less forgiving of bad husbandry so you don't want your temps to be all over the place or you might end up with a sick snake. Personality wise they are usually kind of noisy, huffing and hissing and will bite if you tick them off so not as placid as most ball pythons but usually once out of the cage they are fine. I only had a ball and a hognose when I started adding short tails and have four now. Start with a baby from a good breeder and handle regularly, you will be fine.

Thanks
    Yeah bloods aren't much harder to take of then balls. In fact they are much better eaters. They are huffy but usually as they get older they are all bark and no bite. Remember though they are bigger snakes and you will need to get a big enclosure for him once he gets older and of course bigger rats.
    Ron

Thanks
    If you are an experienced ball python owner and you have done your homework you should be fine , they are great snakes with plenty of character and basically a very large python in a shorter body lol

They can be very hissy and snappy at 1st as hatchlings but like most animals the bigger they get the more confident they are and most will calm right down with regular handling.

They absolutely love to soak so big water dishes are a must and this helps with shedding and humidity. They have large heads and an amazing sneaky stare that only they can pull off its like the painting with the eyes that follow you around the room.

As has been said get from a reputable breeder and get it young they grow fast eat like a pig and require patience and regular handling as they grow , you want to be confident when handling not nervous or jumpy as you will prob get bitten and they bite far harder with the same gusto as they do when feeding I have the pics to prove it The confidence will come as your snake grows and you become accustomed to its character and habits etc

All that aside its not a huge jump but it is a significant one as they do require more focus and attention when handling than any royal usually and as has been said they are less forgiving of husbandry errors.

My advice .......get two cause one wont be enough
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I don't kind their care that difficult.

What I do see as more difficult is the handling. They are big, heavy, head strong, and strong. I have four and my largest is a good girl and will lay with you as long as you like. Im a big strong guy and can tell you they really have some power in them. If she decides she doesn't or does want to do something it can be a challenge to talk her out of it. She is just over 5.5 ft and 30 lbs. She is a lot of snake.

I would suggest finding a large one and get your hands on it to see if you are comfortable with it. The other option is start with a short tail as they are smaller than the Bloods but still heavy bodied.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: possible blood python owner? all opinions are NEEDED

Agree with KMG. I would even say consider a Sumatran short tail as Borneos get just as big as bloods. I had a 6ft 30lb Borneo girl and she was about much snake as I care to handle one on one. Fortunately, she became quite tame long before achieving that size.

Thanks
    Its a fair point about their size and strength as an adult if they decide they are going somewhere it can be challenging to persuade them otherwise

As KMG suggested if you can get your hands on a large adult so you can feel the strength and decide if you would be capable of handling it that would be good, however some people can be put off if their 1st experience is with an adult right off the bat simply due to the difference in size.

However when its your own snake you have watched grow as you have fed it and you have countless hours of handling it as it grows, you have far more confidence in yourself than you will have simply going to look at one and possibly be intimidated slightly.

Depends on you really decide if you really want one and as long as you are physically able to handle an adult, because their is no point otherwise getting a snake that will outgrow your physical capabilities as an adult.

Here are some examples of adults I have that are a decent adult size. All mine were reared from hatchling and all are hissy and puffy but fine when out. You will certainly learn to read snake behavior better with bloods simply because you have to respect them a bit more.

One make with one of my boys

Big heads shifty gaze

an idea of size against a can of beer

they do love to soak

they get thick

and if they do tag you be prepared for pain and blood ... a few years ago my mistake got me tagged lol

hope that helps

snakey
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to snakey68 For This Useful Post:

DennisM (05-26-2015)

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone else here. Also if you can try to hold an adult if at all possible. Some are feistier than others, so be aware of that.

I went from ball pythons to a Borneo ST and I love her.
    1.0 Normal {S.W.A.N.}
    0.1 Lesser Platinum {Genesis}
    1.0 Lemon Blast {Fabio}
    0.1 Borneo STP {Coho}
    0.1 Green Iguana {Goober}
    0.0.0 A. brocklehursti {Vengence}
    0.1 G. rosea {Kiwi}
    0.0.2 B. albopilosum {Sideshow Bob}
    0.0.1 G. pulchripes
    1.0 P. regalis
    0.0.2 Reef Tank: 20g, 9g

10. The Following User Says Thank You to catzeye21138 For This Useful Post: