Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

2 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Your first time seeing or holding a snake

This is me (left), Circa 2000, Cleveland Ohio, holding the tail of an Albino Burm. The moment captured here is my very first exposure to snakes or reptiles in general. Being taught to fear snakes as a child, I think you can tell from my expression that this was a life changing moment.

Shortly after this I was gifted a rough green snake. Which led into BPs, and eventually into what I think is the most beautiful species.

It's been said many times. Educate the future generation, so that they are able to see through the sensationalized nonsense that is passed off as truth.
    This is a key factor in preserving our right to keep these animals.

Feel free to share photos or stories of your first experiences with snakes or reptiles.
    Last edited by tbowman; 05-19-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks
    My first experience with a snake was with a rattle snake in the Mojave desert. I was 4 maybe. I wanted to pick it up, but my friends pulled me away.

My first time holding a snake was a cotton mouth I found while chasing a newt in west Virginia. I brought it to my friend, and he freaked. He made me put it in a bucket and we took it to someone that knew a lot about snakes, I think. He lectured me about how that snake was dangerous and all that, then told me to be careful and never be afraid. I was maybe 6 then.

Thanks

Re: Your first time seeing or holding a snake

Hi I just joined the forum. The first time I saw a snake was when I was like 3 years old. The first time I touched one was when I was about 5 years old and ever since then I love them.

Thanks
    The first time I ever touched a snake was at an educational thing at our local library when I was 4 years old. I got to hold a cornsnake and touch a burmese python that was big enough that it took several people to hold her when she was stretched out. I was never really afraid of them or anything. I've been picking up random wild animals since before I can remember.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Im a country boy and ran wild in the woods. I don't remember the first snake I held but I played with them all the time. My favorite were always the Hognose.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Kukulkan213 (05-20-2015)

Thanks

I used to hate snakes when I was little I wouldn't even go into the reptile house at the zoo. But then I began to watch Steve Irwin and I realized what amazing animals they were and shortly after that I held a huge albino retic with some of my cousins at the age of 11. Since then I have gotten three snakes and my love for snakes keeps growing.

Thanks
    We had a pet rat snake when I was about 5 when we lived in Texas. It sparked a life long passion for animals and reptiles, though after the snake passed, I didn't own another one until I purchased a ball python a couple years ago.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    My first reptile was a lizard my mom caught and put into a shoebox to show me when I got home from daycare. I wasn't any more than three, but i already loved dinosaurs, and that rather cemented my love for anything scaly.

My first snake was in middle school, when one of the boys brought his pet ball into our science class for a week. He got it out, and no one else wanted to hold it but me, so he put it around my shoulders, and it instantly snuggled up for security and warmth. I was smitten. I told him straight out that if I could get away with it, he wouldn't be getting the snake back. He laughed, and so did I, but I was only half joking. I really would have taken the baby home with me.

Thanks

My first remembered experience was with a baby copperhead.
    I spent a lot of time at my grandma's growing up and she lived in a tiny town that seemed infested with them. Across the street was a church we played at all the time and my brother and I were headed to the playground when the tiny thing crossed our path and Jesse almost stepped on it so it tried to bite him. I found a sizable stick (a switch or twig really) and smacked it on the head. Thought it was dead so I played with it for awhile. Then I had to share it with my favorite lil cousin Jaxon... He of course told the adults about it and I had to give it up to grandma who threw it in her dumpster... Later my uncle went to throw something away and it was looking at him so he freaked out doused it in gas and burned it alive.
    Later the church hada little fair and a handler brought out their boa or a really big ball (Im not sure anymore). Grandma said I let it out of the bag so I could play with it.

RIP Grandma She hated snakes but never crushed my love for them.

Thanks
    I saw lots of snakes growing up in the wild and in zoos. The first time I ever held one was the day we bought Violet 😂

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast