Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,675

0 members and 2,675 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vivarium VE100

Thanks

Vivarium VE100

So I have a Vivarium VE100 controlling my zoo med UTH. I run an accurate thermometer with the probe mounted to the inside glass of the tank. I run my ve100 set at 82F to keep my glass temp at 90-93F. The problem I'm having is my temps seem to creep at times. It will bump up to about 96F at it's highest point so I'll bump my ve100 down to 81 then maybe have to bump it down again to 80 then my temps will get too low running 87-89F. I go back to about 82 on ve100 and it will be fine for a couple weeks and start creeping up again. Anybody else that runs this thermostat seem like your chasing temps with it constantly?

Thanks
    Should have the prob between the uth and the glass for accurate readings. uth only heat what they touch and dont do much to the air above and around it... this is prob why you have to keep adjusting it to get your temps rite... temps inside your tank are controlled by the rooms ambient temps if all your using for heat is the uth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-05-2015)

Thanks

Re: Vivarium VE100

I already had stuck the UTH to the glass before I knew I needed a thermostat ( got this all set up well in advance of actually getting my snake). Yes my temps at the glass BEFORE the thermostat were 158F!!! I didn't want to ruin the pad so I have the probe directly on the glass inside the tank under the substrate. I also know with an on/off type thermostat I will have a bit of temp fluctuation, mine seems to run about 3-4 degrees. Just don't understand why I have to keep fine tuning it to keep it from creeping up.
    I heat the ambient temp with a lamp and red bulb on a rheostat on the screen cover so my UTH is only for the hot spot under his warm side hide.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    First action would be to move the probe to the better spot. You can get the pad off IF you are careful about it.
    If you get it off you want to coat the sticky side of it with foil tape so they are sticky side to sticky side. Now you have a removable pad. Then use the same foil tape along the edges to stick it back to the tank.
    Once you hade the probe moved you should be in a better situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    First action would be to move the probe to the better spot. You can get the pad off IF you are careful about it.
    If you get it off you want to coat the sticky side of it with foil tape so they are sticky side to sticky side. Now you have a removable pad. Then use the same foil tape along the edges to stick it back to the tank.
    Once you hade the probe moved you should be in a better situation.
    Gottcha, Makes sense. Although I think my post was a bit confusing, the probe I refer to inside on the glass is my accurate probe. The probe for my ve100 I foil taped to the UTH itself on the bottom. Are there any UTH of better quality than the zoo med? Heck for 20-30 bucks maybe I'll just buy a new UTH and set back up from scratch.

Thanks
    Is the thermostat probe completely covered in foil tape?
    If not that could be a lot of your problem.
    The cool air from the room can give you huge swings and make it overwork itself.
    Personally THG tape is easy and cheaper than a mat.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-05-2015)

Thanks

Oh yea it's completely covered up good with foil tape. It's not really a big deal I just have to keep a good eye on it and tweek it from time to time but next time I clean his tank I'll remove the mat and hook it up like you suggested. It's not a huge temp swing, I bump it up or down a degree to keep it well within specs, more annoying than anything. I'm going to be moving him this summer to a AP cage I think and then I will invest in a better thermostat that is not the on/off type.
    THANKS again for your help and suggestions!!!
    Last edited by Smitty33; 05-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You shouldn't have foil tape on the probe's sensor. That can give false readings. On the probe wire is fine but not on the sensor. Also putting a probe on the inside of the tank is asking for problems in the form of a snake sitting on it, peeing on it, spilling a water bowl on it, all of which can also give false readings and/or break the probe requiring you to order a new probe. Like others have said, best bet is to gently work the UTH off and then put the probe in the center of the UTH between the glass and UTH on the outside of the tank.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    I do and have tacoed a probe on the outside of a heat mat and it does not cause any problems as long as you set the thermostat for the temp you want inside the enclosure.
    In that situation you dont want the colder room air changing the reading of the probe.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-05-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I do and have tacoed a probe on the outside of a heat mat and it does not cause any problems as long as you set the thermostat for the temp you want inside the enclosure.
    In that situation you dont want the colder room air changing the reading of the probe.
    Yep, in order for my hotspot to be 90F I have to set my thermostat at 81. I never let my hotspot exceed 94F even though with an on/off type thermostat I get a swing of 3-4 degrees so I usually have to going from 89-93F.
    The accurite probe inside the tank is an outdoor probe and I don't think a little pee or spilled water will hurt it any, if it does another accurite is only 15 bucks so no big deal. I do want the peace of mind knowing exactly how warm that glass is regardless of the Cyprus mulch on top.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Smitty33 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (05-05-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast