Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

First clutch....Bitter sweet

I was so thrilled to announce that my very first clutch of eggs has arrived! My Mojave girl laid a clutch of 6 eggs and one slug a few days ago, exactly 50 days after ovulating. I was very happy........until I CANDLED THEM! Out of 6 perfect eggs, 3 appear to be completely infertile, 2 have veins on only 1/3 of the egg, and only one has strong veins throughout. I am SO disappointed! I separated the three that have veins from the others as they weren't stuck together and put them in the incubator using the substrate-less method @ a steady 89 degrees. I am 100% sure that the other three are no good, but I put them in too just to gain the experience of knowing what it looks like when eggs go bad. I am not very optimistic about the two with weak veins....but we'll see. I couldn't believe that so many eggs could look perfect and be no good. Any ideas what may have caused this to happen????

Sire- 900 grams

Momma-2700 grams

Locks- 6 observed

Ovi

Eggs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: First clutch....Bitter sweet

yep,

Incubate anything that isn't obviously a slug.

Those look like good eggs to me and I wouldn't be surprised if the veins develop just fine after a week. Any that aren't fertile should start decomposing and be easier to spot in that time as well.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (05-02-2015),joelouis821 (05-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    yep,

Incubate anything that isn't obviously a slug.

Those look like good eggs to me and I wouldn't be surprised if the veins develop just fine after a week. Any that aren't fertile should start decomposing and be easier to spot in that time as well.

Yes, exactly this. Nice looking clutch and may the odds gods have been generous
    Last edited by STjepkes; 05-02-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

So, one of the weak veined eggs has gone bad and the other looks to be getting stronger veins. The three that had no veins...still have no veins, but have not started to rot yet. So as of now I have two eggs out of a 6 egg clutch that show promise. I discarded the rotting egg, but I cut it open to see what was inside first. The egg was definitely fertile at one point because there was a tiny pink worm looking embryo with tiny black eye specks inside. Besides the embryo, the rest of the contents looked like cottage cheese and smelled AWFUL! I am still disappointed with this clutch, but I know it could have been worse. Hope my second clutch of the season works out a little better.

Thanks

When you say substrate-less, do you just put the eggs on a light diffuser with water underneath?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I put either vermiculite or perlite under the grating - prevents sloshing and splashing when moving the container.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

I put either vermiculite or perlite under the grating - prevents sloshing and splashing when moving the container.
    This. Clean aquarium gravel and new, cleaned synthetic sponges also work.

Thanks

Yep! This ^

Officially down to 2 eggs now. The three with no veins finally started to mold and collapse. I cut them open and they were all milky goo, no embryo. Surprisingly, they didn't smell nearly as bad as the fertile egg that went bad.

Thanks

So I lost another egg about 30 days in to incubation. When I cut it open it had deformed twins in it. I thought that the one egg I had left would be a normal due to the horrible luck I was having with this clutch, but I had hopes that it would be a Pastave, either way I just hoped it would be a healthy hatchling. So it is now day 56 and I opened my incubator to this! Someone want to give me their input on what the hell is going on?! I have my guesses, but I want to hear what you think. Either way, I'm happy!!!

Thanks

Was this the females first year breeding?
    - The Grove Reptiles

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asherah For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-23-2015),dr del (06-23-2015)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast