Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

2 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does my BP look dehydrated?

So to combat the darn outside temperature fluctuations I have two heat lamps set up, as well as a UTH. As you can imagine, my humidity becomes less than ideal and I spray the tank about 4-5 times a day to try keeping it damp. When I picked up Arya yesterday she felt different than before, not really "sticky" but that's the best word I can come up for what her underbelly felt like. She also has these wrinkles in her skin. What do you think?

Thanks

Re: Does my BP look dehydrated?

1.0 Purebred Python regius - "Percy"
    0.1 Lampropeltis getula holbrooki/splendida - "Olympias"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Based on her eyes, yes. They get crinkly-looking like that when the snake is too dry.

How big is her enclosure and what is the ambient in the room, that you need two lamps and a UTH to maintain temp?

Thanks

Ambient temp usually sits at 70. Her tank is 36x18x18 and with my setup I get the tanks temp between 79 and 82, depending on the time of day.

What is a solution to this? I have a large water bowl for her and I change the water daily, and I've positioned some of my branches around it to try making it "private". Would it be okay to soak her in water?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    If she wants to soak she will do it on her own.

With two lights running you'll drive every bit of moisture out of that tank in no time.

Short term: remove the light over the side without the UTH, and cover the screen top with something like foil or Glad Press n Seal, which will help keep heat and humidity in the tank. Just leave an opening for the other light. The warm side hide over the UTH does trap heat underneath of it to help your BP stay warm if she needs it. Also I hope you've got a thermostat regulating that UTH.

Long term: buy a proper reptile enclosure, you can often find them for way less than retail price on CL or your local FB reptile forums. Then you can either sell the tank, or use it to house a species that doesn't have to stay humid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-29-2015)

Thanks
    I'm using a 36x18x18 while I wait for my animal plastics cages. I got two Rubbermaid/sterilite lids covering the top. On the cool side I melted holes in the one lid with a soldering iron. I found this helped keep humidity correct, and helps keep heat in. Maybe you can try this temporarily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If she wants to soak she will do it on her own.

With two lights running you'll drive every bit of moisture out of that tank in no time.

Short term: remove the light over the side without the UTH, and cover the screen top with something like foil or Glad Press n Seal, which will help keep heat and humidity in the tank. Just leave an opening for the other light. The warm side hide over the UTH does trap heat underneath of it to help your BP stay warm if she needs it. Also I hope you've got a thermostat regulating that UTH.

Long term: buy a proper reptile enclosure, you can often find them for way less than retail price on CL or your local FB reptile forums. Then you can either sell the tank, or use it to house a species that doesn't have to stay humid.
    The foil trick works amazing. I set it up when I got home at 4:30, gave the cage a real good misting, went to my softball game and got back just now about 4 and a half hours later and humidity is at 80%. So it works too good lol. Time to adjust my misting technique.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I've seen well hydrated snakes with crinkly eyes...

But I've never seen a well hydrated snake display tenting of the dorsal skin along the spine.

I've seen dented/crinkly eyes in snakes with partially retained lenses. I've seen dented eyes in snakes that are kept in too arid conditions for the species. In short, I've seen multiple situations in which dented eyes are the result.

Tenting of the skin along the spine is the sure fire way to see if your snake is dehydrated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    I've seen well hydrated snakes with crinkly eyes...

But I've never seen a well hydrated snake display tenting of the dorsal skin along the spine.

I've seen dented/crinkly eyes in snakes with partially retained lenses. I've seen dented eyes in snakes that are kept in too arid conditions for the species. In short, I've seen multiple situations in which dented eyes are the result.

Tenting of the skin along the spine is the sure fire way to see if your snake is dehydrated.
    Do you mean the "triangular" look along the spine, similar to how pregnant females can look when about to lay?
    0.2 Caramel Albino, 0.1 Caravanah, 0.1 Mojave Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter Pinstripe, 0.0.1 Normal, 1.0 Fire, 1.0 Spider, 1.0 Pastel Calico

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Iris
    1.1 Boa Constrictor Constrictor - Scarlet & Handsome Jack
    1.0 Woma Python - Nigel
    0.1 Corn Snake - Maisie
    1.1 Red Eared Sliders - Esteban & Dolores

Thanks

If you've got foil on top make sure to have at least two "vent openings" so air flow isn't hindered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast