Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,673

4 members and 3,669 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How important are proper temp readings? (and resulting projects)

I usually only post in the Blood python forum, but wanted to post about a little project I took on over this past month. This is a reminder that if you use a glass tank, temps directly on the glass can get unbelievably hot, even if you have a thermostat (unless it's touching the heat source).

A couple ball pythons were given up by someone who had kept both together in a glass tank with undertank heater and wood shavings as substrate.This girl had burrowed under the substrate and coiled on top of the heat source. I'm guessing the cage wasn't the cleanest, either, judging by the resulting infection. I agreed to take her on and give her a shot. Here she is on her first foster day on March 7th, 2015:

The smell was horrible and the wounds were oozing a lot. I began dilute Betadine soaks twice daily for the first couple days to get some of the rotten tissue off and applied topical triple antibiotic ointment. She was started on ceftazidime injections every 3 days. I was concerned with her hydration using the antibiotics; she was quite thin, but she needed them. She was kept on clean paper substrate.

Here she was 4 days into treatment (3/11/15). I managed to remove most of the dead skin and the infection was rapidly clearing. I decreased the soaks, but continued antibiotics.

I offered small meals (F/T mice) a couple times last week, but she wasn't interested. She went into shed last week. On Sunday, 3/22/15 she started shedding, but it was really stuck to her scabby belly. I soaked her and helped remove it. It came off in one piece, which I really wasn't expecting. Here is her shed and her - you can see some dead scale areas that came off also. This was 3/22 - only 2 weeks into treatment. She is looking great!

She still has a ways to go to heal, but is recovering nicely. Parts of the belly scales are still quite hollow and the scarring is changing her shape a bit. I am no longer doing injections, but still doing some soaks and applying topical meds. She took her first meal last night. I had to get a live mouse, but she took it. I didn't want to shock her system because she's so thin and was so stressed.

Anyway, this is my reminder that heat elements in glass tanks need to be set up right. I would much rather not have to deal with this in the first place, but I'm happy I was able to help her and she responded so quickly. She'll be going up for adoption locally once she's better.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-31-2015),AlexisFitzy (05-16-2015),AnnaK231 (05-17-2015),BlueFenris (11-29-2015),ispitroseas (04-02-2015),MarkS (05-06-2015),PitOnTheProwl (03-28-2015),SamO (08-10-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Good for you for helping the burned snake. Respect.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Been there.
    You are in for a long road.
    Good luck to you and her.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: How important are proper temp readings? (and resulting projects)

Mad props man. I can say I would have a hard time doing what you did......thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Holy cow man. Just looking at those pics hurt me. Good job on the recovery. And this is why I don't even use UTHs, I use strictly CHEs or RHPs. Not having belly heat wont hurt a snake and isn't needed but having belly heat can definitely hurt them. Again, good job bud, that snakes looks 1000 times better now.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

This is what will come of that burn. Mine is still healing.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

aahmn (03-31-2015),Albert Clark (03-31-2015),AlexisFitzy (05-16-2015),ispitroseas (04-02-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How important are proper temp readings? (and resulting projects)

Yeah, it looks like this one is doing the same and scarring down to where the belly scales end up mostly gone. I am surprised how quickly it's healing so far, though. I'll probably keep this one for another month before giving her back for adoption. I just want to make sure she doesn't need meds anymore and is eating. There have been issues getting even healthy ball pythons adopted out, so I'm really hoping someone is willing to give her a permanent home. If not, I think I'm going to end up with another snake... it happens.

Oh, and I'm a girl (FYI).
    Last edited by aahmn; 03-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-31-2015),AlexisFitzy (05-16-2015)

Thanks
    Amazing work seriously you did an incredible job and gave that snake a second chance at a good life you should be very proud of yourself, your work, and the Lil gals determination she's looking incredible

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: How important are proper temp readings? (and resulting projects)

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    Yeah, it looks like this one is doing the same and scarring down to where the belly scales end up mostly gone. I am surprised how quickly it's healing so far, though. I'll probably keep this one for another month before giving her back for adoption. I just want to make sure she doesn't need meds anymore and is eating. There have been issues getting even healthy ball pythons adopted out, so I'm really hoping someone is willing to give her a permanent home. If not, I think I'm going to end up with another snake... it happens.

Oh, and I'm a girl (FYI).
    Wow, I have had a similar situation with one of my animals but thanks it wasn't as severe of a burn as this one! I applaud you for committing to a bp that wasn't even yours to begin with. Those burns look like they could be classified as third degree! I thought my bp's case was severe but this one is "jaw dropping". Thanks for the shared experience and I am sure it will have a impact on everyone! Keep every reciept too bc rescue and rehabilitation of animals is a tax deduction! Stay in peace and not pieces.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I work at a vet and have access to discounted care, so it's really not costing me a whole lot - mostly it's the time that I didn't have a lot of but needed to commit to. This one was most likely going to be euthanized otherwise. I did want to document the treatment for educational purposes - both for avoiding burns like this and treating them. I'll continue to post as it heals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast