Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

1 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb Platinum Tiger Retic vs Caramel/Blond Retic

Hi everyone

So, a follow up from my previous thread, I have my eyes set on this male platinum tiger baby which I plan on getting by end of this month.
    However the seller also had a very interesting looking caramel/blond baby male available.
    I would like to seek the advice and opinion from fellow retic keepers on which morph gets better with age? in terms of coloration, temperament and maybe something else extra with each respective morph (which I don't know of )
    I have seen a few pictures and videos of both the plat tiger and the caramel/blond, but still if you have any that you keep personally, I'd appreciate if you can share them! The caramel/blond which is on sale has some white coloration to it, and I don't know whether if this normal for caramel/blonds or is it rare? (pics are not available, sorry!)
    Also, the seller said that retics with tiger genes tend to be more aggressive compared to other genes. I wonder if this is true?

So everyone, please share your thoughts on each morph: platinum tiger vs caramel/blond. I am really undecided now, plus the price is almost the same (the caramel/blond approximately USD30 pricier).

Thanks!

1.0 Bumblebee (Bee) 0.1 Pastave (Mo) 0.1 Yellowbelly (Elly) 1.0 Green het Granite Burmese Python (Dot) 1.0 Green Burmese Python (Spot) 1.0 Caramel Reticulated Python (Haro) 1.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Anubis & Sheba)

0.0.2 Red Eared Slider (Tete & Gugu) 0.0.2 Centruroides Nigrescens 0.0.5 Parabuthus Transvaalicus 0.0.2 Parabuthus Brevimanus 0.0.3 Rhopalurus Junceus 2.1 Androctonus Australis Hector 0.3 Hottentotta Hottentotta 0.2 Tityus Stigmurus 0.1 Scolopendra Dehaani "Cherry Red" 0.0.2 Scolopendra Subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The blondes start off white basically almost like an amel. As they age the white starts to turn to purple and they'll look more like a dark purple albino retic. Myself personally would go with the blonde. Just because you see a lot more patty tigers around and I'd rather have something less people have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AjBalls For This Useful Post:

influence (03-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Blonde, start a blonde GC project and run with it later - those make some of the best looking GC out there.

But you're fronting the food bill, clean up, and raising it - so you need to go with what you prefer.

Just remember from a breeder standpoint - the Blonde will take longer time for a project to come to finish since it's a recessive gene. There is nothing wrong with a platy tiger - but if you already have the tiger gene, why add more to the same morph pool . . .

PS - prehistoric has blonde tiger / het blonde pair in the RAACA auction going on right now and ending this evening if I'm not mistaken. May be in your price range.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

influence (03-26-2015)

Thanks
    Finally, I have decided to go with the blonde. I'll be picking up the retic next week.. so stoked!!
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Btw, is it true that blonde/caramel is a recessive gene that needs a co-dom gene (i.e GC, tiger, platinum, etc) for a successful breeding?
    I am actually confused with blonde and caramel, I looked up world of retics and there are 2 different morphs, the albino blonde (which doesn't look like the one I'm about to buy) and there is caramel T+ (no pictures for this one in world of retics). So which one is which? The snake I'm about to get is almost white and according to the seller will turn darker (caramel colored) as it ages. And according to Prehistoric Pets, the caramel is a darkened albino form
    Planning to go down the caramel (or is it blonde) GC path soon when I have the money for a GC female

1.0 Bumblebee (Bee) 0.1 Pastave (Mo) 0.1 Yellowbelly (Elly) 1.0 Green het Granite Burmese Python (Dot) 1.0 Green Burmese Python (Spot) 1.0 Caramel Reticulated Python (Haro) 1.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Anubis & Sheba)

0.0.2 Red Eared Slider (Tete & Gugu) 0.0.2 Centruroides Nigrescens 0.0.5 Parabuthus Transvaalicus 0.0.2 Parabuthus Brevimanus 0.0.3 Rhopalurus Junceus 2.1 Androctonus Australis Hector 0.3 Hottentotta Hottentotta 0.2 Tityus Stigmurus 0.1 Scolopendra Dehaani "Cherry Red" 0.0.2 Scolopendra Subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

Thanks
    Yeah Caramel Albino is Blonde - also referred to as Indo Caramel. They start out extremely light almost like a white phase albino, but by the time they mature, they intensify with coloration becoming darker than the darkest purples.

You do not need another gene to make it work. Blonde / Caramel is recessive, and can be produced from visual x visual, het x het, or Visual x het.

Visual x normal will result in all hets.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

influence (03-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: Platinum Tiger Retic vs Caramel/Blond Retic

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Yeah Caramel Albino is Blonde - also referred to as Indo Caramel. They start out extremely light almost like a white phase albino, but by the time they mature, they intensify with coloration becoming darker than the darkest purples.

You do not need another gene to make it work. Blonde / Caramel is recessive, and can be produced from visual x visual, het x het, or Visual x het.

Visual x normal will result in all hets.
    Thanks for the info!
    Just wondering if anyone has pics of a blonde GC? what other morphs will produce awesome offspring if paired with a male caramel?
    My goodness.. I can't wait to get hold of the caramel!

Thanks
    Aubrey Pruitt has the only Indo GC's out there and they are amazing

Thanks

Aubrey Pruitt has the only Indo GC's out there and they are amazing
    I think the indo GC is on his facebook display picture? does he has a website? (sorry I'm not from the US).
    To produce the caramel GC, would require a male indo caramel and a female GC right? will it still be produceable if its a male GC and a female indo caramel?
    Sorry, my understanding of snake genetics is very poor.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Either one will take 2 generations.

Indo x GC = GC het Indo

GC het Indo x Indo = GC Indo and Indos and GCs

Etiher way, you'll have to breed daughter to father or son to mother to get the results you're after

13. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

influence (03-30-2015)

Thanks

Either one will take 2 generations.

Indo x GC = GC het Indo

GC het Indo x Indo = GC Indo and Indos and GCs

Etiher way, you'll have to breed daughter to father or son to mother to get the results you're after
    Or.. I can pair him up with a GC het Indo female right? (If i can find one )
    I'm wondering would there be any issues in breeding offsprings with their parents or even between siblings for snakes?
    I can't remember where but I think I read online somewhere on issues of inbreeding snakes, but that was for kingsnakes.. I'm not sure, maybe I'm wrong.
    Appreciate your advice, reptileexperts! And thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast