Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,100

0 members and 3,100 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What to use to treat an stubborn RI?

Hi guys.
    Apparently I didn't quarantine well enough... and the sniffles that my new rats had (which I am still treating with duramycin) were caught by my existing colony. I actually lost one of my adult males (close to 1.5 years)... But he has a history of respiratory issues, so that wasn't shocking. That said, he went from visible symptoms, and being treated to being dead in about 3 days time. The other adults seem fine at this point, but everyone is on duramycin (tetracycline water-soluble).

Unfortunately, I've noticed the young girls (my new rats) have started sneezing and slightly clicking (when breathing) again... And this is while being treated. So, I thought I'd post and ask you guys what you would suggest I treat them with.

My current options are:
    Up the dosage of duramycin (I'm doing 1/2tsp. in 8oz of water now and should continue treatment through next Tuesday).

Amoxicillin (I had already purchased the aquarium variety, 250mg. capsules but I can't remember the dosage).

Baytril (this kind for birds that is in liquid form). I've heard this isn't good for young rats though and have no idea on dosage

Or, if you know of something else I could use that would be available at, say, TSC, that would be great. I already took all 6 of the new rats (2m/4f) the vet last week due to odd scratching and scabbing on some and spent a lot of money, so I'm hoping to treat them without going back in... I am also treating them with ivermectin, btw. in case there are drug interactions.

Thanks for your input!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: What to use to treat an stubborn RI?

Try to get a sputum and or sniffle sample on a q tip and zip lock it for the vet to culture. The reptiles I know usually respond to Baytril in uncomplicated ri. The dose is 5- 10mg/kg depending on the route of administration for 7 to 10 days every 24 hrs. The real issue is to identify the type of bacteria so the appropriate antibiotic can target the infection. Since most reptiles are infected with gram negative bacteria they get treated symptomatically. Amoxicillin is 22mg/kg for reptiles and I am not sure about the proper doses for rats or birds in either of these two medications. Fortaz is a newer medication that is classified as a cephalosporin but I am not familiar with the dosages. You can google Melissa Kaplan for her medication chart and dosages but I think it's just for reptiles and chelonians. Hope this helped! Stay in peace and not pieces. Sorry for the loss of your bp.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-13-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: aquarium concentrations of antibiotics may not be strong enough for what you need.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have often wondered if you could f10 a rodent to help along?

Thanks
    I don't know... I have some F10, but nothing to nebulize it with... Honestly, the thought of trying to do that kinda freaks me out.. I'd be afraid I'd kill them on accident.

What sucks is that these were supposed to be my new breeders to start with... And now one of my favorites has started sniffling and "clicking".. She's young too.. maybe 6 weeks, so too small for bayitril I think.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    I wouldn't use breeders that have a stubborn URI.

I use enrofloxacin, which I think is generic baytril.

Thanks
    yeah... It is not an ideal situation to say the least. I think that they got too cold on their trip (it was in the high 40's that day) and possibly caught something from my colony (although mine had been issue free for about 1.5 years now).

They are all still on duramycin and only one of the new ones (one of the youngest) is sneezing at all. The others have appeared to clear up, except for the last male in my existing colony. I will finish the course of duramycin and go from there... Hopefully they will all get over this before I go on my trip next week, otherwise, they will have to skip 3 days in treatment while I'm away.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (03-18-2015)

Thanks
    Go to the dollar store and buy echinacea capsules. crack one open and sprinkle on everyones food.It really does work. I had a sneezy wheezy male and it worked in about a week. I used to sprinkle it on their food about once a week there after.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 03-26-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Increase your dosage for the Duramycin. And are you changing it out daily? It's light sensitive and it loses its effects within 24 hours of being exposed to light.

And honestly, I would cull the really sick animals that are chronic or don't recover fast. That's a sign of weak lungs and you don't want to breed animals with weak lungs. Rats already have so many respiratory issues.

And in the future, quarantine all new animals for at least 2 weeks.
    I personally QT all new rats for 60 days. I once made the mistake of introducing a rat to my colony without QT and EVERYONE got sick. Never again.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    As for nebulizing, I personally wouldn't use F10 for rats. But you can nebulize antibiotics like Baytril for them.
    But yes, Baytril is not safe to young growing rats. It can cause joint and growth issues.
    It's only good for grown and adult rats.
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-26-2015 at 03:16 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (03-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks! They seem to have recovered.. There is still one that sneezes occasionally, but everyone else is sneeze-free. I admit that I didn't quarantine as well as I should have... My mistake. I thought that coming from a "good breeder" they would be OK. The next time I bring in new lines, they will be staying on a separate floor of the house for sure.

When I was using the duramycin, i was changing it out daily... I will have to consider painting some water bottles (so that light won't get through) to use just for treatment purposes in the future.

Thanks again for your help!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS