Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

2 members and 2,706 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

The best feeling

So i have 2 normal ball girls. On feb 22ed i went to a reptile show and saw a 400 gram male killer spinner blast. Looked very healthy but i have never spent this type of money!!!! But a beautifull snake i made my decsicion to buy him!

I make the trip back home and sent up his tub like i did my girls. Did not handle him and let him get used to his new home. But when i was spot cleaninh and refreshing water he would coil if he was out. And never really seen him out of his hide. I got him when he was older but my girls i had as babys and handled them semi reguarly they know i mean no harm i havent seen ethier of them coil ever.

I waited a week and offered food! Raised his hide i feed f/t was told that was what he was feeding on with his breeder anyways. As soon as i raised it he coiled super frienghted. I left the rat in his tub by his hide for a hour and nothing.... Had to throw it out. Ive had my girls for 2 years and they have never missed a meal i can barley get the tongs in there reach before they strike. So this was new and troublesome to me. I read what felt like every single thing on the internet about enticing your snake to feed.

So today was a week from the first failed feeding and as it grew near i grew anxious. So i tried all the tricks and offered food again and nothing he hissed at me when i offered. Again new to me girls have never had hissed at me or tryed to strike ever even during shed. So i was really devastated. Again i left the rat about 3 inches from the opening of his hide.

I waited about 3 hours i had forgotten to go up and remove the rat after dinner. I went up upset i had been thinking i had made a mistake not raising the snake up. And spending money on a morph that i cant keep healthy. When i went in to retrive the rat it was gone!!!! The best feeling!

All the temps and humidity size of tub all match up with all recomendations. Just got to get him use to the routine and his new home! Any suggetions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slaugbr1 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-27-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    it seems you are doing well!!! congrats. I have snakes since 3 years still eating exclusively alive rats....
    1.0 superstripe, killerbee, OD spider fire, black pastel YB, black specter, pastel dinker, spider dinker, banana, banana cinnamon, enchi fire OD, fire dream bee het. russo, pastel superstripe, 2.0 firefly dream YB.

0.2 superpastel yb, 0.2 enchi, 0.1 yellowbelly 0.2 cinnamon, 0.2 normal, 0.1 black widow, black pewter, fire, lemon pastel, pastel, black pastel, bumblebee, spider granite, het. russo, super pastel, pastel specter, specter,lesser pin, OD, fire OD, OD fire het. russo, OD pastel, firefly dream YB, fire bee het. russo, lemon pastel enchi, citrus super enchi, super pastel enchi, pastel ivory, bumblebee dinker

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Yeah, that's a good feeling alright. Looks like you have a shy eater for now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Slaugbr1 (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Cool Re: The best feeling

Good work! When snakes are in hide try not to raise the hide off of them because you can easily trigger a defensive response. He probably felt like he was under attack. Remember, he was still acclimating to a new environment. This is just IMO. Good luck! Stay in peace and not pieces. A.C.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Slaugbr1 (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Update!!! He was been eating every week right on schedule. I would bring in the f/t rat near him do a little wiggle if he was not intrested i would leave it in his tub and always come back to see it gone!

Last night however i did the little wiggle expecting nothing like normal and struck fast and hit perfect. Ethier hes gaining a little confidence that iam not going to hurt him or he was a little fiesty last night

Thanks
    They do get their confidence, some of mine almost come flying out of their tubs when I bring a rat to the front.

p.s. we need to see some pics!
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks

Re: The best feeling

Quote Originally Posted by C2tcardin View Post
    They do get their confidence, some of mine almost come flying out of their tubs when I bring a rat to the front.

p.s. we need to see some pics!

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...oducing-squirt!!!!!

this is him!! I got some pictures of my normals i will upload later!