Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

1 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Snake rack and BP questions!!

I am going to be purchasing this snake rack here: http://cnj.craigslist.org/pet/4913346194.html

It does not come with a thermostat, though. Which thermostat would you guys recommend to control the temps on at least two shelves?

Also, I am heading to a convention on the 14th. Which morphs would you guys prefer if I am looking to get around 4 or 5 for 600 dollars?

Thanks
    Honestly I would go with a Herpstat to run that rack, you won't regret it. As for snakes to pick up, most will say get what you like and what you want. I personally don't care for Albinos but lots of people do so it's all personal taste. What are your plans? Are these pets? Are they future breeding projects?
    Cheers, Jeff

3. The Following User Says Thank You to C2tcardin For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (03-03-2015)

Thanks

Re: Snake rack and BP questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by C2tcardin View Post
    Honestly I would go with a Herpstat to run that rack, you won't regret it. As for snakes to pick up, most will say get what you like and what you want. I personally don't care for Albinos but lots of people do so it's all personal taste. What are your plans? Are these pets? Are they future breeding projects?
    I would like to start breeding I have a buddy that will sell me a nice 12 slot hatchling rack and an incubator for 150 in the future. I was looking at this rack also. I can get it for around 50-65 bucks. http://allentown.craigslist.org/pet/4913275421.html

I enjoy a lot of the morphs, but a lot are pretty expensive.
    The ones I enjoy:
    Axanthic
    Leopard
    Enchi
    Pied

Banana
    Last edited by BallP; 03-02-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    At a show with $500 or $600 hundred in hand you could easily pick up some of these. I was at the Charlotte Repticon show yesterday and saw Enchi for under $100, Leopard for $100, Axanthic for a little over $100 IIRC and even came across some Pied hatchlings for just a few hundred. If you found a breeder with all of these on their table and showed them the cash you could easily work a nice deal for a handful of animals.
    If you're looking at controlling several racks than spending the $400 for a Herpstat 4 is the way to go, you could run for different racks on it no problem.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallP View Post
    I would like to start breeding I have a buddy that will sell me a nice 12 slot hatchling rack and an incubator for 150 in the future. I was looking at this rack also. I can get it for around 50-65 bucks. http://allentown.craigslist.org/pet/4913275421.html

I enjoy a lot of the morphs, but a lot are pretty expensive.
    The ones I enjoy:
    Axanthic
    Leopard
    Enchi
    Pied

Banana
    You're basically buying a hatchling rack already because it only fits 6 quart racks so you shouldn't buy the 12 slot one also, look into buying a rack with tubs for juvenile snakes so when they outgrow this one you can move them. Unless I'm mistaken and other tubs can fit in those shelves it'll only be good for snakes up to around 250 grams. As for your budget you'll probably have to stick to single genes for now. I suggest buying all females and save for a couple months and buy a male further down the line. For $600 you could get a few females. Any of the base morphs like pastel, fire, cinnamon, mojave, spider, and pinstripes can be bought for around $100 each at an expo.

My suggestion for a thermostat is herpstat. Either a herpstat 1 for just the rack or spend the extra money on a 4 for the future.
    Last edited by BumbleB; 03-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Thanks
    You can get some nice ones, but axanthic, leopard, pied, and banana aren't going to come cheap. You could probably get a het pied or axanthic for cheaper, but still not very cheap. Leopards have also proved challenging to find at the shows near me, but you might have better luck.

4 or 5 snakes for 600 gives you am average of 120-150 per snake, which isn't going to get you much besides some single gene snakes and maybe a het or two. Don't be afraid to ease back a bit, maybe just go for 2 or 3 good girls and start saving a little more money for the next show. You're mostly going to find babies and maybe a small handful of proven females (personal experience says they're going to be normals, pastels, spiders, and pins with the ocasional albino thrown in, but like I said before, maybe you'll have better luck), so you can feel free to make use of the proven females while making a bigger investment in some good hatchlings. Not much of a rush on the little ones, so take your time and feel free to be picky about what you want.

You seem like a deal hunter, so I'm sure you'll be able to build a good collection for a good price. I'm very satisfied with my starting collection of 8 snakes, and my records show me that I paid 973 for all 8 of them including shipping and tax. Looking back, I would have been a little chooser with my females, but I'm still happy with what I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    You can get some nice ones, but axanthic, leopard, pied, and banana aren't going to come cheap. You could probably get a het pied or axanthic for cheaper, but still not very cheap. Leopards have also proved challenging to find at the shows near me, but you might have better luck.

4 or 5 snakes for 600 gives you am average of 120-150 per snake, which isn't going to get you much besides some single gene snakes and maybe a het or two. Don't be afraid to ease back a bit, maybe just go for 2 or 3 good girls and start saving a little more money for the next show. You're mostly going to find babies and maybe a small handful of proven females (personal experience says they're going to be normals, pastels, spiders, and pins with the ocasional albino thrown in, but like I said before, maybe you'll have better luck), so you can feel free to make use of the proven females while making a bigger investment in some good hatchlings. Not much of a rush on the little ones, so take your time and feel free to be picky about what you want.

You seem like a deal hunter, so I'm sure you'll be able to build a good collection for a good price. I'm very satisfied with my starting collection of 8 snakes, and my records show me that I paid 973 for all 8 of them including shipping and tax. Looking back, I would have been a little chooser with my females, but I'm still happy with what I have.
    I don't have to buy all the snakes right now My buddy has a deal for a orange ghost 1900 gram proven 2012 female for 150 bucks. I might start with her. I just want to get a couple male hatchlings to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
    You're basically buying a hatchling rack already because it only fits 6 quart racks so you shouldn't buy the 12 slot one also, look into buying a rack with tubs for juvenile snakes so when they outgrow this one you can move them. Unless I'm mistaken and other tubs can fit in those shelves it'll only be good for snakes up to around 250 grams. As for your budget you'll probably have to stick to single genes for now. I suggest buying all females and save for a couple months and buy a male further down the line. For $600 you could get a few females. Any of the base morphs like pastel, fire, cinnamon, mojave, spider, and pinstripes can be bought for around $100 each at an expo.

My suggestion for a thermostat is herpstat. Either a herpstat 1 for just the rack or spend the extra money on a 4 for the future.
    I might just build my own. I am not quite sure yet. I will decide by the end of the week
    I am guessing I should purchase close to bred females? 15 months is a long time to wait to breed haha.

This is the thermo you were talking about? http://boamaster.com/index.php?route...&product_id=54

That second rack I posted is 65 and it has an old fashioned type therm.
    Last edited by BallP; 03-03-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

they make a number of products any of which will work. I personally would strongly recommend a unit with the 'safety relay' feature. In the event of a controller fail it will kill the power rather than failing full power as most proportional stats do.

My second recommendation is a second on/off type thermostat (like this one for example https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MTPRTC)

This can be used as a fail safe. The herpstat plugs its power into the on/off. The herpstat is set to a correct hot spot and the on off is set to a never get over this temperature (i use 100ºF). The reason is racks hold multiple animals so there is a lot on the line. The sliding system works well although sliding over a probe can and has at time pulled the probe free of the heat source. The probe goes cold the primary stat powers up to heat the probe that will not heat. Then the secondary with a probe at a different location now reaches its shut down temp and powers off the primary. This cycle can continue until noticed usually the herpstat will be squeaking its alarm so usually as soon as you check it is caught.

A second line of defence.

Something to keep in mind as well is racks are poor insulators they don't hold ambients well at all. Often racks are kept in spaces (rooms, closest or perhaps a rack in a cabinet of some sort) heated to the correct ambient temperatures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

they make a number of products any of which will work. I personally would strongly recommend a unit with the 'safety relay' feature. In the event of a controller fail it will kill the power rather than failing full power as most proportional stats do.

My second recommendation is a second on/off type thermostat (like this one for example https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MTPRTC)

This can be used as a fail safe. The herpstat plugs its power into the on/off. The herpstat is set to a correct hot spot and the on off is set to a never get over this temperature (i use 100ºF). The reason is racks hold multiple animals so there is a lot on the line. The sliding system works well although sliding over a probe can and has at time pulled the probe free of the heat source. The probe goes cold the primary stat powers up to heat the probe that will not heat. Then the secondary with a probe at a different location now reaches its shut down temp and powers off the primary. This cycle can continue until noticed usually the herpstat will be squeaking its alarm so usually as soon as you check it is caught.

A second line of defence.

Something to keep in mind as well is racks are poor insulators they don't hold ambients well at all. Often racks are kept in spaces (rooms, closest or perhaps a rack in a cabinet of some sort) heated to the correct ambient temperatures.
    the rack I have is made of melamine
    I also ordered the herpstat 1 today. Should be in on friday. I am excited to set it up and give some Bps a good home

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BallP For This Useful Post:

BumbleB (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I would suggest a fail safe with a melamine rack as the combustion temp is fairly low. Make sure you seal all cut edges too, there could be a link to the phenols common to the glues used in the particulate substrate and reptile health issues. (the same chemical in lower amounts is found in cedars.) Better safe than sorry and seal all the edges up well.