Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

1 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What does damaged hemipenes look like?

Yesterday I was teaching my husband how to probe snakes. After I showed him I let him try. My husband was having a hard time getting the probe in. I showed him once more and again my husband could not do it. I told him we would try again later on a smaller snake. But today, the snake I was demonstrating on, had his hemipenes somewhat erect out of his cloaca. I smoothed the area to see if he was swollen and he sucked the hemipenes back in. I watch him for a few more minutes and it happened again. I smoothed it out again and I haven't seen anything since.

Could my husband, having difficulties, hurt my ball python? Does this usually happen? I am very worried. If I have to I will take him to a vet but until that time, I would like to know now. I have never personally hurt a snake while probing and I have done it for about two years myself and I have never had a snake with damaged hemipenes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yikes! I don't see the need to probe ball pythons. They are super easy to pop compared to other species. I hope your boy will be okay

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: What does damaged hemipenes look like?

Quote Originally Posted by lunasjy View Post
    Yesterday I was teaching my husband how to probe snakes. After I showed him I let him try. My husband was having a hard time getting the probe in. I showed him once more and again my husband could not do it. I told him we would try again later on a smaller snake. But today, the snake I was demonstrating on, had his hemipenes somewhat erect out of his cloaca. I smoothed the area to see if he was swollen and he sucked the hemipenes back in. I watch him for a few more minutes and it happened again. I smoothed it out again and I haven't seen anything since.

Could my husband, having difficulties, hurt my ball python? Does this usually happen? I am very worried. If I have to I will take him to a vet but until that time, I would like to know now. I have never personally hurt a snake while probing and I have done it for about two years myself and I have never had a snake with damaged hemipenes.
    Certainly damage to the hemipenes occurs from inexperienced people doing it. How else is someone going to become familiar with the procedure if it's not practiced? You are experienced and that you were assisting him with the procedure is good. Hopefully it's just irritated and not punctured or torn internally. Did you guys use enough lubricant, ky, or surgilube prior because that is important as well. Keep an eye out for any bleeding and or swelling the next few days. I would refrain from handling him unnecessarily and keep a watch on the vent and tail regions. Consider a vet if you see any abnormal swelling or bleeding. Stay in peace and not pieces.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-02-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Lubricant, ky, or surgilube for the pro re prior to insertion into the vent and hemipenes .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Certainly damage to the hemipenes occurs from inexperienced people doing it. How else is someone going to become familiar with the procedure if it's not practiced? You are experienced and that you were assisting him with the procedure is good. Hopefully it's just irritated and not punctured or torn internally. Did you guys use enough lubricant, ky, or surgilube prior because that is important as well. Keep an eye out for any bleeding and or swelling the next few days. I would refrain from handling him unnecessarily and keep a watch on the vent and tail regions. Consider a vet if you see any abnormal swelling or bleeding. Stay in peace and not pieces.
    I use vaseline for lubricant and always have. I know what you mean, people always mention getting a professional to sex your ball pythons but those professionals had to start somewhere. I personally was taught by a breeder at a reptile expo, I had ten minutes of show and tell and went home and attempted it myself and had no issues and have been doing it ever since. But I still have no clue if my ball python is hurt or not. I have never witnessed a snake do that before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lunasjy View Post
    I use vaseline for lubricant and always have. I know what you mean, people always mention getting a professional to sex your ball pythons but those professionals had to start somewhere. I personally was taught by a breeder at a reptile expo, I had ten minutes of show and tell and went home and attempted it myself and had no issues and have been doing it ever since. But I still have no clue if my ball python is hurt or not. I have never witnessed a snake do that before.
    Cool, then you are good since you used lubricant. Vaseline is probably best. Him just everting the hemipene after probing could be irritation. Keep a eye on the areas of the vent and tail, if you see anything suspicious contact your vet. Good luck. Oh, everting the hemipene can also be stimulation. Rest easy but be watchful of him.

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

There's been a lot of great advice given here and I'd definitely follow it and keep an eye on him, but I also have to say that I've had some odd experiences with my males randomly flashing me there hemipenes during handling lol. They will just be slithering around and sometimes I just see them pop out and go right back in. It's weird but I know they are all fine and dandy so you may just have a weird flasher like mine. keep us updated