Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,665

2 members and 2,663 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Rat pet

Thanks

Rat pet

So 2 months ago my ball python Lucy stopped eating. Not that something was wrong, ball pythons are just weird sometimes. I had to take care of this rat for the two months while she wasn't eating and now I actually quite enjoy it's company. Hes really fond of me and always wants me to play with him and stuff. Anyway at this point there's no way I can feed him to Lucy. She's since begun eating again but I don't want to feed this particular rat. My question is, is it ok to keep the rat in the same room as the snake? And is it safe to handle my snake while the rats kept in the same room? I haven't been handling Lucy because I'm nervous but I usually take her out once every 3 days or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    You'll be ok as long as you don't Handle the rat right before the snake. If you smell of rat you might be mistaken as food. If for some reason you do handle the rat and need to handle the snake afterwards wash your hands with soap and water to get rid of/ change the smell of rat and it'll be fine
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Thanks

Re: Rat pet

Ha ha, the guest who came for dinner and never left!
    i don't think I'd house them in the same room, the snake is always going to think it's time to eat.

Thanks

Haha awesome story Grats on your new pet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STROUSE90 View Post
    So 2 months ago my ball python Lucy stopped eating. Not that something was wrong, ball pythons are just weird sometimes. I had to take care of this rat for the two months while she wasn't eating and now I actually quite enjoy it's company. Hes really fond of me and always wants me to play with him and stuff. Anyway at this point there's no way I can feed him to Lucy. She's since begun eating again but I don't want to feed this particular rat. My question is, is it ok to keep the rat in the same room as the snake? And is it safe to handle my snake while the rats kept in the same room? I haven't been handling Lucy because I'm nervous but I usually take her out once every 3 days or so.
    That's essentially how I got my two rats.

Just as an FYI, I went to check out the rat forums for people who keep rats as pets when I realized I would have mine for a while. You may want to consider getting at least one more since my understanding is they are very social and do better when they aren't solo.

http://www.ratforum.com/
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Rats make great pets. We've had a few and they are a lot of fun but don't have a very long lifespan.

Thanks

So what's the consensus? Keep rat in the same room or no? I don't have anywhere else to keep him I just want to make sure I don't get mistaken for food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Work with the snake first, then the rat, and you should be fine. No guarantees though, I knkw with mine if I just bring a tub of feeders into my snake room, within 15 minutes anyone who is hungry become active. Of course, if that smell is there all the time, the snake will probably come to ignore it most of the time.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    Work with the snake first, then the rat, and you should be fine. No guarantees though, I knkw with mine if I just bring a tub of feeders into my snake room, within 15 minutes anyone who is hungry become active. Of course, if that smell is there all the time, the snake will probably come to ignore it most of the time.
    Mine are like that too. I left the bin that had rats in it off to the side of my snake room, and the next weekend before I brought food in there they were pacing the front of the bins...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    My experience has been just as BumbleB told you.