Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

3 members and 3,257 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Purchasing a BP w/ a Skin Injury

I recently sent a message to a reputable breeder to inquire about an incredible hatchling animal I was interested in. They let me know that she is still available, but will be getting a price reduction due to a recent bad shed that took a fair amount of skin off of her back in the process. They said she's still gorgeous, but not like the pictures I've seen. They also said that she is currently in shed again. I've asked for recent pictures so I can take a look for myself (and should be getting them later this evening), but I wanted to get this group's opinion on purchasing animals in this condition. Of course I would've preferred to get her in perfect condition, but I know that's not possible at this point. I also know that her genetics have not changed because of this (obviously).

Not being able to see her in person, would you even consider purchasing an animal with a known injury such as this? If so, what would you be looking for in the upcoming pictures? If not, why not? I'm looking for as much insight and advice as I can get on the subject. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Eric
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Purchasing a BP w/ a Skin Injury

I'd ask how a bad shed resulted in skin coming off.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-01-2015)

Thanks

Re: Purchasing a BP w/ a Skin Injury

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I'd ask how a bad shed resulted in skin coming off.
    I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to reserve judgement until I saw pictures.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I think its strange that a breeder would have such a bad shed. Not seeing the pics I would stay away because.....well, I don't trust anyone and that just sounds fishy.

After seeing the pics if it was obvious the skin was never going to be normal again I would also pass unless we are talking dirt cheap pricing. If it appears there is a chance of it being normal or close to normal I would be more inclined to take the chance, especially if it was something I needed in a breeding program but even then I am not willing to gamble to much money and would want a major price reduction.

Im interested to see the pics, both before and after.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    A reputable breeder who can't get his animals to shed properly....hmm. I'd probably steer clear of this whole situation. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    I don't think I'd be too hard on a breeder who has a few snakes with bad sheds, it happens especially in the winter. I saw several snakes today at Repticon in Charlotte, NC that had bad sheds but they likely went into shed when traveling to the show so what's a breeder to do about that. However a shed that removes the skin sounds bad, I would keep looking instead of taking a chance.
    Cheers, Jeff

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C2tcardin For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    I've seen multiple snakes on this site with months worth of bad sheds on them and have yet to see one that the skin came off with the shed. I'd need alot more information on how exactly a bad shed could make her skin come off before purchasing the animal. I know bad sheds and humidity are easy problems to fix but a breeder that had that big of an issue because of a bad shed is one breeder that I might have problems doing business with
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BumbleB For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-02-2015),Sonny1318 (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    I got clarification from the breeder. It happened during a shed cycle, but was actually a scrape injury against the PVC divider in a divided tub (which has now been fixed). There was apparently a sharp edge on the divider that she rubbed against causing the scrape on her back seen below. The top three pictures are before the most recent shed. The bottom two pictures are after last night's shed. It appears to be healing nicely. Is there a chance of it healing completely?

Pre-yesterday's shed:

Post-yesterday's shed:

Thanks
    Ah that explains it, looks like its healing up nicely and an opportunity to get a nice looking clown like that at a reduced price would be hard to pass up.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks
    Gorgeous Clown. I don't think the issue (especially when explained as you have stated) would stop me. I have a Pewter that I got at a great price because he got an eye infection shortly out of the egg. He lost the eye but the breeder had cleared the infection before he was offered for purchase. They sent extra medicines and instructions on his care just in case the infection came back but it's been a non issue. He is my favorite snake and aside from the missing eye absolutely stunning. I have to say the breeder was fantastic to work with and will be purchasing from there again.
    - The Grove Reptiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast