Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

0 members and 2,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Need help dealing with "The Bug"

My fiancé got me my first python for Christmas, and now I cant seem to help but want another. The thing is I know I cant get one yet. The supplies is easy enough to pick up but we don't have the room right now for another tank/cage.
    Any suggestions on quieting this greed? At least until we get a bigger spot...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the Forum.

I dunno about quieting the greed. But I can maybe give some ideas on how to maybe feed the greed.

Switch to stackable PVC enclosures which give you your viewing pleasure like a tank, but geared toward better reptile husbandry.

or

Switch to the stackable tub/rack system.

This way you don't take up any more square footage.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-01-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks
    Wrong place to ask for help about this problem

Get a rack! Whether it's 3 tall or 10 tall it's going to take up the same amount of space on the floor.

I know it's very easy to get addicted and everyone's plans change when it comes to how many they want to keep. My biggest problem is the Internet, I'm always on this website or searching through classified ads for more ball pythons. The ball python searches then led to other snakes that i want now like carpet pythons, hognose, and boas. I think if I stayed away from the Internet(for reptile related stuff) I wouldn't have as many snakes as I do now and I definitely wouldn't have such a large "need to buy" list.
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Good luck, I've always envied the people who just keep one or two. Soon as I could afford it when I was younger, my addiction has always been big. Even now I have six, and stuggle to keep it there. There's always something I'm drooling over. Just remember they're long term pets.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    You can totally build your own racks too, there's lots of web tutorials. If you'd prefer the aesthetic appeal of a decorated enclosure with a scaly center piece, then the pvc enclosures are the way to go.

Thanks
    Stay away from the internet and reptile shows... lol. I just came home from a show and had only planned to get feeders and a new rack.. Ended up "browsing" the snakes and oops... came home with a pastel enchi female. I also saw two others at the show that I now want and have added to my ever-growing "list" (a T+ blood python and a hypo enchi ball python).

I would say the only way to put it off, is to have a goal in mind. Plan what racks / cages you want and make a list of which animals you would love to have. If morph BPs are your thing, consider saving for more expensive combo morphs instead of buying more single-morph animals (that way you can enjoy 2 morphs in one animal and only pay to feed / house one animal instead of 2). Also have a space for a herp room in mind. Price equipment and animals now and save up with that in mind... That might help you hold things off for a while. I would also advise planning for getting racks or pvc cages. Much easier to maintain than tanks down the road. As is a heated room or closet kept at a stable temp.. These things take planning and time, but help stabalize your hobby and make it easier down the road.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    All addicted reptile keepers know that it is never about curbing your addiction, but learning about how to play in-real-life 3D tetris instead. Switch to space efficient PVC caging or tubs and get used to moving furniture around. lol
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 03-02-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks

Re: Need help dealing with "The Bug"

Thank you for the welcome Reinz!
    We do have 2 four drawer plastic container things but Im not sure they'll be big enough and Im pretty sure theyre not escape proof. We just upgraded his tank from a 20gallon fish tank to a 36x12x18 Exo Terra cage I traded his tank and $80 for. Ive seen professional racks on CL for $400 which Im sure is a great deal but I don't think Jay would go for it.

BumbleB I figured as much but its worth a shot. I just though maybe someone else might have been in a similar situation at some point.
    Craigslist is my addiction! Theres always people cheaping out on the prettiest snakes on there. I just cant help but look at them.

Sonny1318 I just want 2 right now. :3 Then while Monty's shedding I can hold the other one or while Im waiting 2 days after he eats I can play with the other and then feed it but Jays an instigator so hes already said when we get into a house I can do some small scale breeding >.<

Lizardlicks I will totally look into that. *A*

artgecko Ive never been to a show before but theres going to be one in town Tuesday and I really want to experience that. Ive talked him into another turtle for now..,.. already set up the quarantine tank. XD
    I want a morph... even if its just a little cheapy. Were looking to get a place with a basement/family room type thing soo.... Ill probably own that.

pythonminion Im working on teaching Jay to accept my life long love of herps. He just started letting me keep rodents in the freezer. Soon enough though...,. soon enough.

Thanks

I just picked up a Borneo STP, a Blood, and a pair of BRBs in just this past week. Because 7 wasn't enough. I cannot help other than say, tubs, racks, and stackable PVC is your new BFF.
    Leyla

1.1 - Normal BP - Kismet & Persephone (reduced pattern)
    0.1 - Hypo Butter Bee - Andromeda
    1.0 - Green Pastel - Loki
    0.1 - Black Pastel Harlequin - Harley
    1.0 - Citrus Pewter - Hansel
    0.1 - Sumatran Short Tailed Python - Eleanor Rigby
    0.1 - Borneo Short Tailed Python - Maharet
    1.0 - Blood Python - Castiel (on acquisition)
    1.1 - Brazilian Rainbow Boas - Cupid and Khaleesi

Serpentine Design https://www.facebook.com/serpentinedesign

Thanks

leylaraks I think that's a perfectly reasonable number :3 I just wish I could change the man's mind so that he agrees with me.

Could someone please post a picture of a pvc cage? Im sorry but I have no idea what youre talking about.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yonny For This Useful Post:

leylaraks (03-02-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast