Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

0 members and 2,951 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Getting started.

I've decided that I want to attempt to produce some ball pythons. I want to start off small maybe 1 male 2 females.

What would you pick up first? Keeping in mind that I want to buy adult snakes rather than raise them up. I'd like to keep the budget around 1000 dollars for the initial purchase of the snakes.

Also, about how long does the entire breeding process take? From introduction to hatching.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Keep in mind you will need to buy/build a rack with all the fixins, a hatchling rack ready for babies, an incubator and of course high quality thermostats for all three. If you keep it small you don't have to breed your own rats but look into buying bulk frozen and have a place that consistantly has plenty of live feeders. I Just got into the hobby this past June and that time plus roughly $2000, not including the price of feeders, has me ready to breed this summer. I have 6 snakes, 2 racks (one I built, one I bought), one 18 tub hatchling rack and an incubator (converted wine cooler)
    Last edited by aLittleLessButter; 01-29-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your budget will allow you to get 2 single gene females or more that are breeding size and even proven breeder, Mojave, lesser, pastel, spider, pinstripe, enchi, cinny, black pastel, yellow belly etc are all within reach, I would probably pick 2 and keep the rest of the money for a 3 genes male.

Once you get the female get them used to their new environment and feed them right for several months so they are ready for next breeding season, with what left of the money pick up a 2014 male get the most gene you can afford and raise him up to size.

Now as far as timeline no one can answer that as there is no timeline to start with between pairing and ovulation, for example you can start pairing in October and have eggs in February just like you can have them the following September even worse the female might not go and the following season she will lay egg in July because of sperm retention.

The only timeline you can count on is from ovulation to hatching.

Once the female ovulates she will have a pre-lay shed and after that she will lay eggs the whole process from ovy to eggs will take on average 45 days now I have had females going way over that as well.

Once you have your eggs count another 55 to 60 days or more before they hatch depending on your temps.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

tbowman (01-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: Getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleLessButter View Post
    Keep in mind you will need to buy/build a rack with all the fixins, a hatchling rack ready for babies, an incubator and of course high quality thermostats for all three. If you keep it small you don't have to breed your own rats but look into buying bulk frozen and have a place that consistantly has plenty of live feeders. I Just got into the hobby this past June and that time plus roughly $2000, not including the price of feeders, has me ready to breed this summer. I have 6 snakes, 2 racks (one I built, one I bought), one 18 tub hatchling rack and an incubator (converted wine cooler)
    Thank you. I am aware of the costs of snake keeping. The budget mentioned is just for purchasing the snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Your budget will allow you to get 2 single gene females or more that are breeding size and even proven breeder, Mojave, lesser, pastel, spider, pinstripe, enchi, cinny, black pastel, yellow belly etc are all within reach, I would probably pick 2 and keep the rest of the money for a 3 genes male.

Once you get the female get them used to their new environment and feed them right for several months so they are ready for next breeding season, with what left of the money pick up a 2014 male get the most gene you can afford and raise him up to size.

Now as far as timeline no one can answer that as there is no timeline to start with between pairing and ovulation, for example you can start pairing in October and have eggs in February just like you can have them the following September even worse the female might not go and the following season she will lay egg in July because of sperm retention.

The only timeline you can count on is from ovulation to hatching.

Once the female ovulates she will have a pre-lay shed and after that she will lay eggs the whole process from ovy to eggs will take on average 45 days now I have had females going way over that as well.

Once you have your eggs count another 55 to 60 days or more before they hatch depending on your temps.
    Thank you. Appreciate the info.

Thanks

I like the looks of the lessers and mojaves. Any recommendations on good places to find some?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    I like the looks of the lessers and mojaves. Any recommendations on good places to find some?
    Well finding an up to size or even breeder Mojave or Lesser at this time of the year is not gonna be an easy task, your best bet is to wait a bit, usually it right after they lay eggs that some breeders will make females like those available as they upgrade their collection, right now you are in the middle of the season so it's bad timing to find bigger females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    That's unfortunate. I'll have to look around and see if i can find anything available.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i don t think, you gonna get 2 breeder size fire, lesser or enchi females + a 3 gene male for that price.... But if you can i will go for it. Let s say male killer bee , enchi girl, fire girl. Easy sells hatchlings, no normals.
    1.0 superstripe, killerbee, OD spider fire, black pastel YB, black specter, pastel dinker, spider dinker, banana, banana cinnamon, enchi fire OD, fire dream bee het. russo, pastel superstripe, 2.0 firefly dream YB.

0.2 superpastel yb, 0.2 enchi, 0.1 yellowbelly 0.2 cinnamon, 0.2 normal, 0.1 black widow, black pewter, fire, lemon pastel, pastel, black pastel, bumblebee, spider granite, het. russo, super pastel, pastel specter, specter,lesser pin, OD, fire OD, OD fire het. russo, OD pastel, firefly dream YB, fire bee het. russo, lemon pastel enchi, citrus super enchi, super pastel enchi, pastel ivory, bumblebee dinker

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Check craigslist for breeders in your area that are "down sizing " or getting out all together. I have seen a lot of racks and multi or group snake sales in the San Fran area. I'm Only looking for one girl but it's for next year or later so I'm waiting till off-season and get my whole season planed out way in advance. There is so much to learn I feel like I can write a book already and have just scratched the surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast