Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

1 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Feeder Mice

Thanks

Feeder Mice

Not sure if this is the right forum that I should be posting this in, but here goes. I was having trouble feeding my new ball python (first time owner by the way) frozen/thawed mice. Just wasn't interested. I then decided to try the live method. Before I even got my ball down in the tub with the mouse it had taken it. So I have decided to maybe start breeding my own feeder mice, as this would help nullify some of the cost associated with purchasing them every feeding. Suggestions? Has anyone tried this or is already doing this? If so where can I get the "starter mice" at that I know are already sexed. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions.

Thanks
    Have you also tried fresh killed mice?

Thanks

Re: Feeder Mice

If you just have one BP then the cost to build/buy a mouse breeding setup will be more expensive than just buying a single mouse each week, and probably more work than it's worth. Also remember that your BP will only be on mice for a short time, so you will either need to slightly modify your breeding setup to accommodate the size difference between a rat and mouse. Now if you are planning on getting more snakes than breeding feeder rodents could be a great idea. So if you have no problem with the added work it takes to breed rodents then by all means look more in to it and start breeding. I just recently started breeding feeder rats for my snakes and food costs are way lower and not to mention I think it's super fun to do. Have fun with you new snake
    Sam