Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

2 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Defecation questions.

My ball python defecared today in his warm hide. Quite the mess. He did it twice. I am wondering what the best way to clean it is? I took the whole cage apart, replaced the substrate, cleaned all of the tank items in iodine solution, gave him an iodine bath, and scrubbed the tank. I wore gloves and used the qerm killer I have, I am not sure if I am going way overboard but this would be a huge pain in the ass to do every time he poops. Can I just scoop the area out? I deep clean his cage once a month. It has only been set up for two weeks and this is his first poop. Any help is appreciated.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    What are you using for substrate? Mulch bedding like aspen and cypress should be able to be spot cleaned quite easily between full changes, newspaper or paper towels will need to be replaced.

Thanks
    Bit overboard yeah. If the poop comes out in one nice piece (usually just a dried up ball of fur by the time you see it, with some solid urates stuck to it) you can just scoop it out, no need to deep clean every time they defecate. Sometimes though some snakes have a bit of a sensitive stomach? and they diarrhea all over the place, and yeah in that case a deep clean would be recommended. But most of the time its all just spot cleaning and deep clean every month to prevent bacteria from growing or mold.

Edit: Yeah like lizard says the substrate matters too. For eco earth, aspen, cypress, its easy to spot clean, for paper towel bedding , it would have to be replaced.
    Last edited by Borgpython; 01-28-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks

Re: Defecation questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    What are you using for substrate? Mulch bedding like aspen and cypress should be able to be spot cleaned quite easily between full changes, newspaper or paper towels will need to be replaced.
    I use mulch, thank you for the input. I feel better now.

Thanks

Re: Defecation questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgpython View Post
    Bit overboard yeah. If the poop comes out in one nice piece (usually just a dried up ball of fur by the time you see it, with some solid urates stuck to it) you can just scoop it out, no need to deep clean every time they defecate. Sometimes though some snakes have a bit of a sensitive stomach? and they diarrhea all over the place, and yeah in that case a deep clean would be recommended. But most of the time its all just spot cleaning and deep clean every month to prevent bacteria from growing or mold.

Edit: Yeah like lizard says the substrate matters too. For eco earth, aspen, cypress, its easy to spot clean, for paper towel bedding , it would have to be replaced.
    Thank you. It was all solid but inside his hide. I am gald I can spot clean because it was a pain in the ass trying ro reassemble his tank this late at night while my girlfriend was sleeping.