Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

0 members and 2,746 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    As you already mentioned, I would refund and in my "polite" way would remind him that your animals health is more important than anything else.
    Thank him for his past business and inform him of the decline of services because of his lack of concern for the safety of the animal.

Because we all know IF you would have shipped and something went wrong that it would turn into a whole mess of a pile of smelly stuff from his end.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (01-04-2015),SnakeBalls (01-04-2015),steve_r34 (02-05-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    In my experience of privately selling reptiles (not ball pythons however), I make a point of taking a non refundable deposit usually 20-30%. I then however, do not request payment in full until the week before the courier is due to collect. This way people are less concerned that I am slowing things down to keep their money, and effectively running a scam. People are happy to wait for a smaller deposit, and that way you are being paid to look after the animal until YOU are happy to send it.

In future I would recommend holding the animal for a non-refundable deposit only, the moment you are happy to arrange shipping then request the remaining balance. That way there is less at stake, so the buyer worries less.

I do empathize with the buyer somewhat (I may get burned for this...)

I would never knowingly send an animal out in bad weather, or request one to be sent. However as a first time buyer from a new seller if weeks had gone by and the seller was reluctant to ship, albeit with due cause, I would still grow skeptical because their are a lot of con merchants out there! Each week, more doubt would surface. Its nothing that you have done, and its not the buyer being funny - blame the REAL scammers that have sowed the seeds of doubt in peoples minds!!

If your a relatively new seller and there is little existing customer feedback left for you its difficult/ impossible for potential customers to research reviews. This leaves only your word as the seller, a complete stranger asking for money for an animal which may have never been seen in the flesh. It can be difficult to trust sellers, it isn't always easy with horror stories of scammers floating around.

Once you have dealt successfully with someone, that doubt clears and people will likely be comfortable waiting longer. But until that relationship is established many people preemptively prepare for worst case. Scammer.

I hope that helps a little, its not meant to be judgmental so hopefully didn't come across that way! I think in these circumstances give the buyer a refund, and kindly explain that you would be happy for them to return business to you given better weather conditions, and that you understand why they may have been worried. Reassure them. Even if they don't come back to you, you can "sell" yourself in a positive understanding light - you never know who they may know.

Build positive rapport with your customers.

all the best for the future
    Last edited by Crestiezoo; 01-09-2015 at 11:31 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crestiezoo For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (01-09-2015),Mykuhl (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Also, make a point of obtaining feedback from customers and posting it online either a website, blog, testimonial or what ever. This just gives the buyers a point of reference for research. The more positive the feedback the more reassured a new buyer will be
    Last edited by Crestiezoo; 01-09-2015 at 11:35 AM.

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone here. Just refund him and scratch him off your list of business. I am a very anxious person and when I want something, I want it now, but it's different when you have a live animal at play here. People like that are a problem waiting to happen.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    I understand you sellers of snakes but....
    I'm at home with my kids we pick out our new pets for hours or weeks like we do.and then no fault but mother nature screws my next day package out over a month? NO now I'm sitting here with a disappointed family and no money to go elsewhere that can fulfil my order in a timely manner.
    has there been no brake in the weather? Why would you even offer to ship from your location that time of year?if your months without the ability to ship. He didn't know your local weather forecast. Save the frustration and ship in spring.
    It's part of the contract if you ask me.
    you said give me x amount of dollars for x amount of service that you did not render.so instead of saying that's the cost of operating a biz your looking to pass it on to the consumer who did nothing wrong but help your wellbeing by supporting your biz in the first place. He will tell anyone who will listen and even if it cost you only a few sales it would have been smarter to do the right thing in the first place. give him his money

Thanks

Re: Impatient Customer - Need Advice

Pardon me if this comes across as rude but...I am starting to notice that there seems to be a general attitude in the reptile industry to put buyers on a "black list" over a single infraction or perceived infraction. Usually this is to avoid any drama or possible hassles. I personally find this a strange way to run a business and don't see this attitude in other industries. Difficult customers are just a normal part of doing business when your business is selling. Nobody likes dealing with these type of people but you do it for the sake of your business.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mykuhl View Post
    Pardon me if this comes across as rude but...I am starting to notice that there seems to be a general attitude in the reptile industry to put buyers on a "black list" over a single infraction or perceived infraction. Usually this is to avoid any drama or possible hassles. I personally find this a strange way to run a business and don't see this attitude in other industries. Difficult customers are just a normal part of doing business when your business is selling. Nobody likes dealing with these type of people but you do it for the sake of your business.
    We do it in the automotive field and towing too.
    Not worth any amount of money to dal with problem children.

Thanks
    i understand the worry abut funds being out in the open without product or service rendered but at the same time if he/she is a responsible reptile owner then he/she will understand the danger posed by shipping in cold weather.
    every site you go to will have the exact same disclaimer that if there is bad weather shipping can be delayed, it shouldnt be surprising.
    that being said i think to be on the savvy end of your business you can improve by taking a deposit of an amount you deem reasonable to ensure your customer feels as secure as you wish the reptile itself to be in the transaction.
    at a time you appoint as a god ship date require your customers to pay the balance in full and set things into motion. reptiles will be as safe as possible and the customer onn the other end wont feel cheated.
    i would also have a disclaimer about refunds just to C.Y.A. and if a customer becomes abusive dont forget to exercise your right to refuse service to anyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

As a Buyer, I have had two instances where I was purchasing a snake with the possibility it would not be able to ship due to weather. Both times I paid half the money up front and agreed to pay the second half at such time as delivery was possible. The first time, a 3 day window opened up about two weeks after the initial payment. I paid the second installment and received the snake. The second one is still in the Seller's possession and likely won't be shipped until March due to the fact the Seller is in the Chicago area. This is how I intend to handle this situation as I become the Seller.

Not saying the OP didn't do so, but I think it is the responsibility of the Seller to make it very clear, up front, to a Buyer that there is a possibility the shipping window could close and delivery could be delayed. This should be done as early as possible when a purchase seems likely, especially if it is a first time online Buyer which again is the responsibility of the Seller to ask and know your customer. Saying it's posted in the terms is a bit too hands off bordering on lazy. Remembering there is a heightened anxiety level for a Buyer with every aspect of a first online transaction since they will never had a chance to hold, see in person, or be able to assess the general health/condition of the animal before receiving it. I think a Seller needs to go the extra mile not only to give them a comfort level, but to potentially build a repeat customer and a great Word of Mouth advocate. This industry is all about two points, reputation and quality. If you don't develop and promote the former, you may not get another chance to provide the latter.

As painful as it may be, I would refund the Buyers money and see if you can still salvage a sale in the future. I feel the OP didn't lay the ground work well enough to put all of this in the category of a difficult Buyer. Also, if you don't have any feedback for a BOI, you certainly wouldn't want your first to be negative. Just my $0.02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast