Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

1 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Impatient Customer - Need Advice

hello everyone, I was just searching for some advice. right now I have a customer who has purchased two ball pythons from me. he sent the money roughly 2-3 weeks ago (maybe a little less) I explained to him that all of my shipping is done weather permitting and right now its getting too cold for comfort for me (low 20's at night, sometimes colder) he is growing extremely impatient and I received a text message from him about 4-5 days ago stating that he wanted his money back. I explained to him that I don't want to risk the animals lives and take any chances etc etc. after a while he agreed to just wait it out. well, today I received another message asking for his money back yet again. now here is where my question lies, what is everyone's policy regarding refunds? (in this particular situation) obviously I want to keep the customer happy and what not but do I just straight up give him his money back and be on my way? I feel its a bit unfair to purchase animals and then just a few weeks later ask for a refund because you don't want to wait any longer. (especially after I personally have bought numerous animals during the winter months and have had to wait months and months to receive them) I hope this doesn't come off as rude or anything because that's what I am trying to avoid. I am just trying to look for some friendly advice so everyone can be happy here.

thanks a bunch!

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Impatient Customer - Need Advice

I would just give him the money back and cross him off the list of future customer. A person that can't understand snakes are living animals with needs and not THINGS to be tossed around at his whim probably shouldn't be a reptile keeper.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-28-2015),andyroof1979 (02-11-2015),anicatgirl (02-05-2015),GoingPostal (01-04-2015),Hannahshissyfix (01-21-2016),HenryTheSnake (12-15-2015),Kira (01-20-2017),nucklehead97 (01-09-2015),SnakeBalls (01-03-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I bet he's concerned that you might be a scam just trying to steal his money. Has he ever bought from you before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I'd also just refund the guy and avoid dealing with them in the future. What are your sales terms?

Thanks

He has not bought from me before. And as far as sales terms go, it doesn't really cover this situation. I can't really put "all sales are final. If you want to back out of a purchase your money is only good for credit towards another one of my animals" :p I feel like that is kind of low. But okay, I will just refund him the money and chalk it up as a loss. If anyone else wants to chime in please feel free. Or if you have any similar stories to share go ahead.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Customers like that are just not worth the trouble and drama, I would refund the money and never do business with him again.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    10-20% nonrefundable deposits are pretty common these days. Basically made for customers like this that make you pull ads for weeks only to back out in the end. Did you tell him before he paid that shipping might not be possible for a while? If not, and he's new to mail order snakes, I could understand him getting cold feet.

Thanks

In my ad it clearly states shipping is done weather permitting. I am going to refund him the money and save his number so I know not to sell to him again. Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adam_c For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    10-20% nonrefundable deposits are pretty common these days. Basically made for customers like this that make you pull ads for weeks only to back out in the end. Did you tell him before he paid that shipping might not be possible for a while? If not, and he's new to mail order snakes, I could understand him getting cold feet.
    This. Also, since you don't have a Terms of Service I'd suggest you look at the ones from a few other breeders and make one of your own, and include that some percentage of the payment is non-refundable.

Personally if I were purchasing a reptile from someone in New England I wouldn't expect it to be shipped out until late March at the earliest due to weather.

Thanks

Exactly! And honestly, I thought that 10-20% non refundable anything was only for payment plans (a deposit to hold the animal) I wasn't aware people were regularly putting them in their TOS. I will definitely look into that and write one up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast