Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,153

3 members and 1,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Cause of death: fatty/ failed liver

New Years day, afternoon I checked my snakes and found a pastel that I hatched in 2012 coiled and dead. I was/ am confused about the whole ordeal because nothing in husbandry had changed and she ate a small rat on the 17th of December and skipped the last two meals. No noticeable issues or complications, just dead. So today I got a necropsy done and the vet said everything looked great except for the liver. Vet said it was very pale (normally supposed to be mahogany color) and it was also swollen. She also stated that the snake was obese and there was fat in the liver. This particular snake is 2+ years about 4+ feet and weighs 1450gs, so I wouldn't think obese?

I'm very glad that it's nothing contagious and wasn't something I did directly, but it sucks. I was wondering if anyone has input on the situation? Should I slow down my feelings? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Females: Normal, V.P.I. Axanthic, Lesser, 0.2 calicos, Fire , Enchi, Black Pastel, Pastel , Bumblebee, Leopard Mojave, Yellowbelly

Males:
    Pastave, Orange Dream pastel, Bumblebee het VPI ax, Pastel calico, Pastel Champagne

Thanks

Re: Cause of death: fatty/ failed liver

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard to loose a pet. It's even harder to loose one that you hatched yourself. How often were you feeding your BP and what size of meals was she taking?
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melissuhhh View Post
    New Years day, afternoon I checked my snakes and found a pastel that I hatched in 2012 coiled and dead. I was/ am confused about the whole ordeal because nothing in husbandry had changed and she ate a small rat on the 17th of December and skipped the last two meals. No noticeable issues or complications, just dead. So today I got a necropsy done and the vet said everything looked great except for the liver. Vet said it was very pale (normally supposed to be mahogany color) and it was also swollen. She also stated that the snake was obese and there was fat in the liver. This particular snake is 2+ years about 4+ feet and weighs 1450gs, so I wouldn't think obese?

I'm very glad that it's nothing contagious and wasn't something I did directly, but it sucks. I was wondering if anyone has input on the situation? Should I slow down my feelings? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    I am sorry for your loss. I do however applaud you on getting a necropsy done. While they can be expensive, the hobby collectively gets smarter when we know why our snakes die.

We have started another thread in the general herp section regarding dietary requirements - namely questioning what is commonly recommended and comparing it to studies that may contradict the common wisdom.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard to loose a pet. It's even harder to loose one that you hatched yourself. How often were you feeding your BP and what size of meals was she taking?
    Thank you. I offer once a week, generally small rats that are maybe a month older then weaned. Sometimes I offer leftovers to snakes that did eat to get rid of the rats but usually they won't take more then 2 in a day.
    Females: Normal, V.P.I. Axanthic, Lesser, 0.2 calicos, Fire , Enchi, Black Pastel, Pastel , Bumblebee, Leopard Mojave, Yellowbelly

Males:
    Pastave, Orange Dream pastel, Bumblebee het VPI ax, Pastel calico, Pastel Champagne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    I am sorry for your loss. I do however applaud you on getting a necropsy done. While they can be expensive, the hobby collectively gets smarter when we know why our snakes die.

We have started another thread in the general herp section regarding dietary requirements - namely questioning what is commonly recommended and comparing it to studies that may contradict the common wisdom.
    Thank you very much. I just needed to know what the necropsy unveiled since nothing was obviously wrong. I will look into that thread since this has had me thinking a lot about their diet.

Males:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melissuhhh View Post
    Thank you very much. I just needed to know what the necropsy unveiled since nothing was obviously wrong. I will look into that thread since this has had me thinking a lot about their diet.
    Fatty liver is , for lack of a better word, a "lifestyle" disease.

Sadly, we tell people to feed X% of the body mass every X days and feed one type of prey item only.

We do not take into account the amount of activity that wild snakes engage in with respects to hunting, denning. mating, escaping fires, predators, etc.and compare it to the lack of inactivity in the tub.

...and we do not take into account variety in their diet.

...I think we are all guilty of it to a certain degree and that we should openly discussing what steps we should take to address it.

I've lost snakes to "lifestyle" disease...a lot of other people have but do not know it because they do not perform necropsies.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-03-2015 at 01:14 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

tacticalveterinarian (01-15-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Fatty liver is , for lack of a better word, a "lifestyle" disease.

Sadly, we tell people to feed X% of the body mass every X days and feed one type of prey item only.

We do not take into account the amount of activity that wild snakes engage in with respects to hunting, denning. mating, escaping fires, predators, etc.and compare it to the lack of inactivity in the tub.

...and we do not take into account variety in their diet.

...I think we are all guilty of it to a certain degree and that we should openly discussing what steps we should take to address it.

I've lost snakes to "lifestyle" disease...a lot of other people have but do not know it because they do not perform necropsies.
    This is what the vet told me more or less, and it's a scary realization. I do take my snakes out occasionally but I will make it more of regular occurrence. it's such a waste of a loss that can't be justified. Thanks for the response, talking to someone about it definitely helps.

Males:

Thanks
    Thank you for posting your story. Strange question but do you have any pictures of her before she passed? I'd like to know what body shape to keep an eye out for.