Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake hasn't eaten for months

I got this little normal snake, and no matter what, it didnt eat. pinkies, mice live frozen day night morning evening it didnt matter. He turned his nose up at everything. I tried syringe feeding him, but it didnt seem to help much. He is now very thin and looks a little dehydrated. I love all my animals so much, it hurts me so bad to see him like that, like I am a failure. I already struggle with major depression disorder, so failing with one of my animals has been extremely hard on me.

A few days ago, I got him to swallow a force fed pinky. I had to push it all the way to the back of his throat otherwise he would spit it out. He did not regurgitate, and it made me so happy! Today, i got him to eat another! In the same way though, force fed.

My question is, Will I ever be able to feed him normally? Meaning, will he ever try to feed himself? How long will I have to keep force feeding him? And how often? I guess that's more than one question.
    1.0 Normal 1100g
    1.0 Normal 400g
    1.0 Orange Ghost 450g
    1.0 Albino 1400g

Normals are beautiful too .

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Don't feel like a failure if your BP won't eat. Some just don't.

Where did you buy it, and have you reached out to the seller for help? How did the prior owner keep it? What was it eating and how many meals did it have before you bought it?

Have you checked that your husbandry is correct? Hot spot at 90*F, cool side 78-80*F, good humidity, small enclosure, lots of hides for security, etc?

FWIW what you're describing is assist feeding, not force feeding. With force feeding once the feeder is in the back of the snake's throat it's then manually pushed into the stomach using a long, thin rod; the snake doesn't swallow the prey item.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-22-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a lot of unknown here.

What is the animal age and weight?

Did you purchased it as an animal well started?

How do you keep him? Enclosure size, temps, humidity, hides etc

Have you handled that animal since you have had him? How often?

You say pinkies are pinky mice all you ever offered?
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    I got him two and a half months ago as a baby eating only one time with the original owner. And three days ago was the first time he ate a pinky for me, which I had to assist feed him. I have 5 other snakes, all bps, all kept the same way with same husbandry and all are doing great except this one.

His enclosure is 20 gallon with a large water ball and two hides. It is an aquarium type, but I have three of the sides blocked up so he isnt so exposed.

I have offered the only things I have to offer. Live and frozen mice and pinky mice.

ambient temp is 80 ish (of course it will vary a degree or two either way sometimes) and hot spot is 89 - 90. I use a lamp for ambient temp and a heating pad for hot spot, which is thermostat controlled. I have handled him very little, only to assist feed. Took a few pics of him the day I got him.

Humidity has been high lately because he looks dehydrated, and I figured high humidity would help. High meaning 70ish

I havent reached out to the seller.
    1.0 Normal 1100g
    1.0 Normal 400g
    1.0 Orange Ghost 450g
    1.0 Albino 1400g

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because you have other snakes kept the same way does not mean anything, with BP it's not a one fit all type of deal some are much more prone to stress than others and what will work for A will not work for B

The enclosure is too big, the food is way too small even out of the eggs they do not eat pinkies pinkies are for colubrids. Too small of a prey item will often not be recognize as a prey item, even force fed which you should not have done as assisting would have been more than enough, it still not enough food.

Get a 6 quarts tub have a 1 inch layer of aspen, provide a 6 inch plastic flower pot saucer as a hide, temps on the warm side should be around 88 at the very most (this is due to the small size of the enclosure)

Wait a week NO Handling (none from now own until the animal eats for you at least 3 times) offer a live hopper mouse, in the tub, just drop it and walk away, come back 15 min later and remove if uneaten. If uneaten there are other tricks before jumping to force feeding.

In most cases it is husbandry related the animal has ate once so it does know how to eat, you just need to provide the optimal husbandry for this specific animal.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-22-2014),bcr229 (12-22-2014),Gio (12-22-2014),PitOnTheProwl (12-22-2014),Sammiebob (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    ^^^^^
    What Deb said.

But on top of it, I don't like to send babies to new homes until after they've taken 3-4 meals.

Thanks

Re: Snake hasn't eaten for months

Have you tried African rats? That may be an option to try. I believe they're called African Soft Furred Rats. Also, have you tried taking him to a vet to see if something is wrong? One of my bp was a TERRIBLE eater, months without eating, until I took him to the vet and found out he's basically blind(possibly had his head closed in a door) and has an old back injury(probably stepped on). He looks completely normal. Acts basically normal, you'd never know something was wrong(he's a rescue). I have to "over heat" his food(med rats) and even then it was iffy, went through that for years, then I ran across an article suggesting cleaning right before feeding. And now I can reliably get him to eat if I do BOTH. Point is, try all simple options first. Force feeding is stressful and should be a very last resort. Definitely sounds like you're willing to try anything. So try the cleaning and extra warming. It sounds simple after all this trouble, but it MIGHT just be something simple. Snakes are so weird sometimes, but they're worth it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet4serpents For This Useful Post:

Gary P (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Because you have other snakes kept the same way does not mean anything, with BP it's not a one fit all type of deal some are much more prone to stress than others and what will work for A will not work for B

The enclosure is too big, the food is way too small even out of the eggs they do not eat pinkies pinkies are for colubrids. Too small of a prey item will often not be recognize as a prey item, even force fed which you should not have done as assisting would have been more than enough, it still not enough food.

Get a 6 quarts tub have a 1 inch layer of aspen, provide a 6 inch plastic flower pot saucer as a hide, temps on the warm side should be around 88 at the very most (this is due to the small size of the enclosure)

Wait a week NO Handling (none from now own until the animal eats for you at least 3 times) offer a live hopper mouse, in the tub, just drop it and walk away, come back 15 min later and remove if uneaten. If uneaten there are other tricks before jumping to force feeding.

In most cases it is husbandry related the animal has ate once so it does know how to eat, you just need to provide the optimal husbandry for this specific animal.
    This is sooooo correct!

Take that advice to a T!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (12-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

Did you even read what I wrote? I told you I offered all kinds of food, didn't take anything... I don't have access to live fuzzies. Small mice and rats of all sizes is all I have live.

A tub? I don't know how to keep temps in something small that can melt. Just a heat pad wouldn't do I dont think.

Why aspen? I use Cyprus, should be fine, don't see how bedding can make a difference, otherwise these things would never make it in the wild if they were all so picky.

I said I didn't handle it... again, did you read? or is this something you copy and paste on every post? I only handled the day I got it, and lately when I have assist fed him, which has to be better then it not eating at all.

I will move it to a smaller enclosure, that is a good idea, about the only thing you said that contributed at all. Why does that happen so often on this site? A smart A know it all skims through the post, then suggests a ton of things that were all ready tried and explained in the OP?
    1.0 Normal 1100g
    1.0 Normal 400g
    1.0 Orange Ghost 450g
    1.0 Albino 1400g

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary P For This Useful Post:

kaitala (12-24-2014)

Thanks

Re: "Snake hasn't eaten for months"

I think that ball python owners seem to overreact when their pet doesn't eat. After over 30 years with Ball Pythons I have learned that each snake is going to have his or her ritual of going off food for at least a couple of months a year. I have had a male ball that went off of food for 95 days....(at that point I was a little bit worried.) Now he is eating fine and is taking a medium f/t rat every week.

When they are very young and they refuse food I would watch their weight closely and if you note a great weight loss you might need to use an assisted feeding technique like a pinky-pump. They are available on the internet.

Best of luck with your snake , and let us know how he is doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast