Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

3 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Captive Husbandry of Philodryas Viridissimus

In 2011, I received an imported 1.1 pair of an oddball philodryas species, At the time I had been looking to add to my olfersii group. When dealing with imports, it's sometimes hard to predict exactly what you will get (at some point later down the road, I'll expound on the perils of importing). In 2012, I found a source of some additional CBB animals and added them to my group.

Back to the original imported pair - these snakes were positively identified as Philodryas Viridissimus...locality somewhere in Surinam. The parasite load was surprisingly light, and they immediately began taking f/t rodents of appropriate size.

As with most oddball species not yet in general circulation, husbandry parameters were figured out largely by trial and error. Luckily, they are a pretty hardy, if somewhat shy and retiring species.

In 2013 I produced my first clutch. I know for a fact I was not the first to do so in captivity, as I have spoken with other hobbyists who have successfully acclimated and bred them.

Again, as with many other rarer species, I've never come across a care sheet outlining how to keep them, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Description
:

Philodryas Viridissimus are generally light to dark green in color. I've seen considerable variation even within a clutch. The mature males, however, do have a blue head, chin and...wait for it...tongue. It's a somewhat reliable way to sex them as they get older.

Average size for males is about 33 to 44 inches. The largest female I've ever seen was about 36" However, these animals have a wide distribution and admittedly I've only seen a double handful. As far as weight goes, well, I've been pretty lax about tracking their weight. This is for a couple of reasons - mainly, their reclusiveness. Secondarily, their fairly active defensive response. Being arboreal, they are pretty adept at coming off a hook and biting........and chewing. Unlike a lot of opistoglyphous snakes I've dealt with, Philodryas Viridissimus seem to have a predilection for chewing when they bite.

Again, my observations are based on my small group of animals. The original female is a grade A female dog, and the male is no better. I'm a firm believer in the general behavior of snakes being influenced by the temperament of the parents - I've seen to much confirmation of this trend to believe otherwise.

Habitat:
    Mainly arboreal. Philodryas Viridissimus can be found in the South American countries of Paraguay, Amazonian Brazil, the southern portion of Venezuela, Guyana and French Guyana, Surinam, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador. I'm sure that there are locality specifics throughout their range, however there isn't a large enough or well-documented enough captive population to begin to categorize them by geographical area.

They inhabit mainly topical rain forests and are found at varying elevations.

Viridissimus will bask at temperatures between 88 to 92 degrees. I have seen them lay on top of the exposed edge of radiant heat panels if given the opportunity. I have also seen them spend extended amounts of time in cooler areas of the cage (75 degrees or so). I therefore shoot for a range of ambient temperatures between 74 degrees and 83 degrees, with a basking spot of about 90.

These snakes naturally occur in humid areas and need that humidity for both successful reproduction and shedding. As with any species that requires an elevated humidity level, that humidity must be maintained in a way that does not compromise the health of the animal. Good circulation is a must. If good circulation cannot be maintained, then the animal must be provided with a humid hide. Viridissimus will readily utilize an arboreal humid retreat..

As mentioned a couple of times in this entry, they are shy animals. Enclosures must provide them enough hides and hollows for them to feel secure. This can be accomplished with cork tubes or plants that provide them an opportunity to use their coloration to camouflage themselves.

Other arboreal colubrid species such as Dispholidus Typus and Thrasops Jacksonii show little to no attempt to utilize their surroundings to blend in. The movements of these animals has led me to believe that they do not use any sort of camouflage in either their defensive or predatory behaviors. Other animals, such as Thelatornis and P. Viridissimus will stay stock still when in an arboreal position. This behavior can be used interchangeably for both predation (ambush) and defense (blending in).

Diet and Digestion:
    Philodryas Viridissimus are eager feeders that will often consume prey items in private. While some will readily take items off of forceps, I've found that they do best if the prey item is left on a flat rock or on a cork flat for them to eat when they feel safe. They will eat a variety of items, including appropriately sized rodents, small lizards (I use either anoles or western fence lizards), small frogs, small birds and even quail eggs. They will even readily consume smaller snakes.

As with many of my animals that eat a varied diet in the wild, I am suspicious of feeding them an all rodent diet. I have seen lipomas and even liposarcomas in other species fed an exclusively mammalian diet - especially when rodents are not a staple in the wild.

Their metabolism is fairly rapid - full digestion of prey items occurs within 72 hours even at room temperature.

I have kept these animals in pairs and separately. They will readily breed either way. However in terms of feeding, paired animals must be fed separately. This should be a common practice for anyone who successfully co-habitates snakes.

Venom:
    Philodryas Viridissimus are close cousins to Philodryas Olfersii (whom they very closely resemble), yet not much is known about their venom.

No attempts are made to constrict prey, and as stated prior, they have a habit of chewing anything that enters their mouth. That makes me think that their venom may play a role in subduing prey.

Viridissimus have nominally enlarged rear fangs and therefore can be safely handled with gloves and long sleeves. They are extremely prone to biting in self-defense, They should be handled and treated with extreme respect and never by children or inexperienced handlers.

Being arboreal, they do not ride a hook like other animals and can quickly turn direction and ride up a handle, wherein they will chomp on an ungloved hand.

I have been bit a number of times, and have not had any symptoms. I have also been bitten by my olfersii and have not had any issues. Seeing as that the two species are similar in behavior and appearance, and that olfersii have been fingered as potentially being able to cause a medically significant envenomation - the reader should draw their own conclusions.

Behavior:
    I have never any behavior related to inquisitiveness in these animals. Wherein members of psammophidae and dispholidines families tend to be curious and sensitive to changes in their surroundings, viridissimus show no such inclination.

Wherein dispholidines will often display various threat behaviors (gaping mouth, lateral inflation of the neck) Viridissimus display little to no threat warnings. I have seen several individuals flatten their heads prior to biting, but they can not be reliably counted on to display before they bite.

I have yet to have one become accustomed to handling. They are eager to bite and chew. Once that behavior does not work, they will thrash and rapidly seek to escape. As neonates, they are amazing escape artists. I use weather stripping to close any gaps between tubs and frames in the baby racks.

Housing:

Unless I plan on breeding them, viridissimus are kept individually. Cages for adults are 24" or 30" cubes. A 40 watt radiant heat panel supplies overhead heat. Branches and artificial foliage are used for climbing and hollow cork tubes and birdhouses are used as hides. I utilize coconut coir as substrate.

In this configuration, a 90 degree hotspot is found on a branch about 6" below the RHP. The hidden corners of the enclosure hit about 75 degrees. I do not mist or provide supplemental humidity in their enclosures. I have found that they will utilize an arboreal water dish more readily than a terrestrial one. I provide them with several arboreal humid hides to use.

Breeding:

I must confess I have never seen any of my viridissimus mate. What I noticed is that in March of every year, the males go off of feed and then begin to act restless. In a shy species, this change in behavior is quite obvious. At that time I began introducing them to a mate. I left the first pair I had together for three weeks then separated them. 6 weeks later, the female went into shed. She refused her next two meals - one during shed and one the day after. Three days after shedding, I woke up one morning to find a clutch of 7 eggs.

I incubated the eggs at 80 degrees. 101 days later, they all hatched.

I had one other subsequent breeding. A three year old female that laid a clutch of 9 eggs. Again, 80 degree incubation and 99 days later - babies.

Some of my animals:

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-31-2014),bcr229 (12-20-2014),dr del (12-20-2014),jclaiborne (12-21-2014),MarkS (01-01-2015),Pyrate81 (12-31-2014),SnakeBalls (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Great write up. They sound like neat snakes to keep. Great pics of them with it.

Googling this snake yields 2 of the top 4 links coming to this thread. This was the top link: http://www.philodryas.com/viridissimusENG.html

At first/quick glance, they almost resemble green or jamison's mambas. IMO.

Any idea on potency of venom or possibly how much could be delivered?

Outside of mating, would you keep multiples in an enclosure?
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Captive Husbandry of Philodryas Viridissimus

Super cool snake. I'll keep it on my look out for list if I see some cb out there for a decent price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate81 View Post
    Great write up. They sound like neat snakes to keep. Great pics of them with it.

Googling this snake yields 2 of the top 4 links coming to this thread. This was the top link: http://www.philodryas.com/viridissimusENG.html

At first/quick glance, they almost resemble green or jamison's mambas. IMO.

Any idea on potency of venom or possibly how much could be delivered?

Outside of mating, would you keep multiples in an enclosure?
    Taking everything with a grain of salt....they are philodryas and very similar in appearance and color to olfersii which have at least one documented fatality and several documented severe envenomations. They are also "chewers" meaning that the work very hard to work those rear fang into prey sources...

I'd say that there venom is probably similar or the same as olfersii.

Having said that, I've been tagged and have never had any issues. Then again I've been bit by olfersii. Unlike some people, I don't let anything chew on me for more than a sec or so.

http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1...009-X/fulltext

Quote from the above paper:

There was also a case involving a female clerk in a Fairfax, VA, pet shop. While showing the snake to a potential buyer, it latched onto her inner wrist. Attempts by pet shop personnel to remove the snake might have milked the glands into the wound. Swelling was severe and resulted in compartmental syndrome, leading to fasciotomy and debridement, which left her arm somewhat deformed and with reduced use (William Lamar, written communication, January 11, 2007).

Symptoms from bites have been recorded from inconsequential to fairly severe.

As for venom delivery, probably not much, but I've never found any studies on yield.

In the past, I've kept pairs in large enclosures. They are extremely shy and introducing them to each other for breeding purposes often results in one or both going off feed and hiding for extended periods of time. I know people who have kept them separate and then been able to breed them, but the introduction and acclimation period takes weeks.

As for that link - that second pic does not look like any viridissimus I've ever seen....not saying it isn't...just am not sure.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-01-2015 at 12:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Ty for the time and info. Very neat.

Pardon if there was offense anywhere. I was/am interested but was also partially intoxicated when I responded so my comments/questions may have not been well thought out.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate81 View Post
    Ty for the time and info. Very neat.

Pardon if there was offense anywhere. I was/am interested but was also partially intoxicated when I responded so my comments/questions may have not been well thought out.

Thanks
    ... Just chalk it up to me being interested in your snakes, thanking you for the info, and being weird about it on some level.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Pyrates only style is "weird about it"!!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo