Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,340

2 members and 1,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: When should i take her out of her feeding tub?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A snake with a strong feeding response can take hours to settle. On the day I feed my boas I do any necessary cleaning, water changes, misting, etc., feed in the enclosure, and then I don't mess with them again until the following morning.
    I meant it more as the food would be far along enough not to upset her stomach and cause her to regurge. The snakes I have with a strong feeding response will be in attack mode for hours after eating. But the meal they ate would be nearly invisible after a few minutes. That's when I feel it would be ok to move them and not mess them up.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks

Thank you for the "species" link. Based on my avatar, it appears that I have a regular blood python.
    Would you agree?
    Her head is gray, not black like the Sumatra depicted in the link. When I adopted her, I was told she is a sumatran , but that's okay. However, I would like to be correctly informed about my snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeEye View Post
    I meant it more as the food would be far along enough not to upset her stomach and cause her to regurge. The snakes I have with a strong feeding response will be in attack mode for hours after eating. But the meal they ate would be nearly invisible after a few minutes. That's when I feel it would be ok to move them and not mess them up.
    LOL yeah, my comment wasn't because I was worried about a regurge, but because while the occasional nip is all a part of keeping a reptile, a feeding response bite from a mature boa or blood python freaking hurts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hijacked View Post
    Thank you for the "species" link. Based on my avatar, it appears that I have a regular blood python.
    Would you agree?
    Her head is gray, not black like the Sumatra depicted in the link. When I adopted her, I was told she is a sumatran , but that's okay. However, I would like to be correctly informed about my snake.
    It took me a while to notice the differences between the short tail pythons and the blood pythons. The easiest way of telling the difference is that the short tail pythons will have small scales separating their eyes from the scales on their mouth. Blood pythons do not have those very small scales.

As for your initial question, I feed all but one of my snakes in their enclosures. Never had a problem with them mistaking me for food, unless it was already feeding day and they smelled the rats. Good luck with your python. They make great lap buddies.
    The collection is growing:
    1.0 Dumerils Boa (Khardeen), 0.1 Spider Ball Python (Charlotte), 0.1 Pastel Ball Python (Serenity), 1.1 Mojave Ball Python (Atreyu, Starr), 1.0 Black Pastel Ball python (Vader), 0.1 Enchi Champagne Ball Python (Monroe), 1.0 Enchi Ball Python (Apollo), 1.0 Citrus pastel yellowbelly ball python (Mellow Yellow), 1.1 Fire ball pythons (Fuego, Pele), 0.1 Pinstripe ball python (Vera), 1.0 Pastel Calico ball python (Monty the python), 1.0 X-Gene ball python (Wesley), 0.1 Butter X-Gene ball python (Buttercup), 0.1 Bumble Bee ball python (Honeycomb), 1.1 Red Blood Pythons (Armond, Mina), 1.1 Matrix Red Blood Python (no name, Trinity), 0.1 Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake (Lilith), 1.0 Albino Honduran Milksnake (Boros), 1.0 Desert Kingsnake (Crowley- King of Hell), 0.1 Banded Albino Kingsnake (Rhapsody)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Your Sumatran is a Short Tail, not a Blood. Check out the three species here http://bloodpythons.com/cms/index.php/species-info

I also have three younger bloods that I had to tame down but even they are fed in their tub and always have been. I have never once been tagged by them in a feeding related way. The only times they have given me a bite is when they are being pissy about me disturbing them.

How did you tame down the young bloods? Just curious. Do you handle them until they chill out? I am a newbie w/ this breed...with snakes, in general.

Thanks

We have a hefty collection of these guys. Whenever we're about to pull them out to handle, or to clean...for the ones that have exceptional feeding responses...I take a hook and will gently tap them on their upper body to turn off their feeding response. Always works for me.

Sent from my iPad at the Southern Comfort Combine
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DNACurtusK For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (04-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by platinumbp View Post
    How did you tame down the young bloods? Just curious. Do you handle them until they chill out? I am a newbie w/ this breed...with snakes, in general.
    Well when I first got them I left them alone as much as I could the first week. This proved to be pretty hard since they were shipped with mites. Dealing with young bloods, in a new home, with mites meant I got bit a lot that first week. After getting that taken care of I started short sessions with them keeping them away from my face and neck. These sessions were short and usually only for about as long as it took for them to relax with me. I eventually extended the time I would keep them out and as they proved that they were not into biting me any more I allowed them more freedom when crawling and climbing around me. It has been a very long time now since I have been tagged and I can do all my needed cleaning without having to worry about them tagging me. When I did get tagged I did not stop what I was doing with them. I finished what I was doing and would not place them back home until they chilled out. The two females are great and act just like my big girl now but the male can still get very pissy at times. He will actually actively come at you when he gets like this but most the time even he is pretty calm now. He is a character.

You just have to be steady and make deliberate moves when working with them. I believe they mainly bite when young out of fear and once they learn you are not there to hurt them and their little nips do nothing to deter you they will stop. Now every snake is different and some just seem to be hard to get along with. These species are very vocal and no matter how relaxed they are all of mine hiss, huff, and puff. That's just them.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Your Sumatran is a Short Tail, not a Blood. Check out the three species here http://bloodpythons.com/cms/index.php/species-info
    The OP's avatar is a red blood. I guess I am wondering if you saw a different pic somewhere. ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12