Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,540

0 members and 1,540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Hello with my dog. Swollen leg

So she got into a fight with our other dog. Over stupid attention from the owner, jealousy kind of fight. And the other dog scratched my dog. I cleaned it with som warm water and some soap. But her leg is a little swollen now. Can I do anything to bring the swelling down?

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks

Re: Anyone can help with dogs?

I'm no Vet, but I would think that rubbing a little bit of something like Neosporine on it would help to prevent infection. See if it seems to get better, and, if not, consult your veterinarian.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Hello with my dog. Swollen leg

My daughter works for a vet and is studying to be one. She said if it is severe enough to swell then there may be what is called "pocketing" underneath where the subcutaneous space is open and it fills with fluid. She said if it where her dog she would take it in to the vet and probably get a NSAIDs. I didn't know what that meant so I texted her back and she texted, Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatories.

Thats the best I can offer and I hope you dog mends quickly.

Thanks

I see it's been a bit since you posted this, but I just saw it and wanted to check how your dog is doing. I've been heavily involved with dogs for 30 years now; mainly Doberman Pinschers (rescue, training, showing, breeding), African Basenjis, and an all breed nutritionalist.

The immediate response to a bite would be tissue swelling from tissue trauma. Antibiotic ointment covered in gauze and vet wrap would be my first course of treatment. However, if it becomes inflamed and feels like there's a fluid filled pocket, it's more than likely an abcess. Keeping a warm compress applied may allow it to open and drain until you can get her to a vet for a round of antibiotics. Your vet may just let the antibiotics do their job or open it and excise the abcess sac. NEVER give your dog Tylenol or Advil/Motrin. Aspirin is okay. If she's small, you can give her baby aspirin.

I REALLY hope she's better now. I'm new to the forum AND to Ball Pythons. I LOVE my dogs, but wish I had all that money I've put out over 3 decades and had started with BP's! "ADDICTING" doesn't come close to describing these amazing animals!

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsoldier001 View Post
    So she got into a fight with our other dog. Over stupid attention from the owner, jealousy kind of fight. And the other dog scratched my dog. I cleaned it with som warm water and some soap. But her leg is a little swollen now. Can I do anything to bring the swelling down?

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HEMI-MAMA For This Useful Post:

Solarsoldier001 (01-01-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HEMI-MAMA View Post
    I see it's been a bit since you posted this, but I just saw it and wanted to check how your dog is doing. I've been heavily involved with dogs for 30 years now; mainly Doberman Pinschers (rescue, training, showing, breeding), African Basenjis, and an all breed nutritionalist.

The immediate response to a bite would be tissue swelling from tissue trauma. Antibiotic ointment covered in gauze and vet wrap would be my first course of treatment. However, if it becomes inflamed and feels like there's a fluid filled pocket, it's more than likely an abcess. Keeping a warm compress applied may allow it to open and drain until you can get her to a vet for a round of antibiotics. Your vet may just let the antibiotics do their job or open it and excise the abcess sac. NEVER give your dog Tylenol or Advil/Motrin. Aspirin is okay. If she's small, you can give her baby aspirin.

I REALLY hope she's better now. I'm new to the forum AND to Ball Pythons. I LOVE my dogs, but wish I had all that money I've put out over 3 decades and had started with BP's! "ADDICTING" doesn't come close to describing these amazing animals!
    My dog is perfectly okay

She's a healthy baby.

I have huge dogs. My biggest is my dog at 75 pounds. The other two are 60-65 pounds. Thank you for the advise.

Sent from iPhone 6 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |