Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

2 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User futurereptilebreeder's Avatar
    Thanks

Better Breeding project

Crested vs AFTs

which would make a better breeding project from several aspects (care,selling babies...)

thanks

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Better Breeding project

Quote Originally Posted by futurereptilebreeder View Post
    Crested vs AFTs

which would make a better breeding project from several aspects (care,selling babies...)

thanks
    Well if you did some research which I would assume you did if your attempt is to breed you already know about the care requirement and which one is easier.

Now as far as market goes while Rhacs (not only crested) are in demand due to their ease to care for the market is also saturated, whether online or at shows they have become the Ball Python of the lizard world, they are everywhere, so unless you start off with impressive stocks they might not be as easy to sell and even than as I said they are everywhere.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

futurereptilebreeder (11-15-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Better Breeding project

Pick something you like. You'll have a much better time breeding something you are really passionate about than trying to worry about what is going to sell better.

The things I would focus on if I was going to start a breeding program. (I actually work in business so hear this out)

The first thing to consider is whether you can actually care for the animals that you choose to breed. Your product is the animals and the most important part of a prospective business venture.

Just going by what I've seen considering pricing expect the value of whatever you are purchasing to drop significantly by the time they reach breeding age (if raising from hatchlings). It might not happen but it's better to just expect it and be pleasantly surprised.

Find out the costs to own a single reptile for one total year. Be sure to figure out your costs for heating/cooling, electricity. These costs don't really change unless you add more animals. I'm going to use a rack system as an example. You buy the rack system it's an asset, it holds value and depreciates in value. It costs a certain amount of money to heat one rack system. If the rack holds 10 animals and you get one more you double your heat costs to have a second rack only holding 1 animal in it.

Then you anticipate costs for feeding, watering, medical care. Cost of running incubators. The cost to raise the animals from hatchlings to adult before you can even think of breeding. Cost of substrate and cleaning for an entire year etc.

Then you can decide what kind of project to start based on how many offspring you expect to produce and how many animals to get and what kind.

I wasn't really sure what the purpose of your breeding program was going to be, for an extra source of income, just because it's cool, or some other reason. But the question was formulated like it was the former so I gave you some things to consider.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

JaredJEstes (01-01-2015)