Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,545

3 members and 1,542 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Python striking at myself.

Hi

I have just tried to feed my python in its cage it won't feed outside its cage, I have just got it. It has feed once but that was the mice being left in the cage and it ate it during the night. Last night I went to do the same again but dropped the mouse and when i went to pick it back up with the tongs the snake striked at myself. Once the snake moved away I placed the mouse on a lid I was using to keep the mouse separate from the snakes bedding. But it did not eat this.

I tried a fresh mouse to night, the snake was out sitting on a log so I tried dangling the mouse in front of the snake and it striked at the mouse but did not bite on to it again the mouse fell and the snake sat poised at the mouse I again moved to pick up the mouse again but the snake struck at me again. First time I thought it was just a mistake but this time it seems that it was going for me.

I have had the snake a month and this is my first snake.

Is the snake striking as it is defending its prey or is it just striking at any movement as it can smell the mouse?

If any one could shed some light that would be great thank you.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    When you try to offer food while your snake is laying out it can very easily get defensive and strike at you as the snake is not ready to feed. It would be better to serve the meal at a time that your snake can feel as if it is stalking and hunting from a concealed position instead of a basking position.

It could also be your husbandry. Run us through your setup so we can see if there are any issues there. Is your snake laying out because you are not offering belly heat?

Yet another issue could be the prey itself. How are you preparing it?
    Last edited by KMG; 10-31-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Velrys (10-31-2014)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    The snake is striking at you because you're a warm target, and there's the smell of rat in the air. Do you offer a hot spot on the head? Also, if you need to pick it up use your tongs. But you said the snake will eat if you leave it overnight, so that may be your best bet. The snake doesn't have to strike.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Re: Python striking at myself.

Hi,

It has its heat mat in the corner under it's hide, I have another hide at the cool side of the enclosure. It has spent a lot of time out of the warm part for the past two days and was lying on top of the hide on the cool side when I attempted to feed him.

Am I best waiting until he is in his hide before attempting to feed him?

He has been fine when being handled. Was holding him earlier and he was fine, this has only happened when I have been attempting to feed.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    When you try to offer food while your snake is laying out it can very easily get defensive and strike at you as the snake is not ready to feed. It would be better to serve the meal at a time that your snake can feel as if it is stalking and hunting from a concealed position instead of a basking position.

It could also be your husbandry. Run us through your setup so we can see if there are any issues there. Is your snake laying out because you are not offering belly heat?

Yet another issue could be the prey itself. How are you preparing it?

Thanks

Hi

I am using tongs, but they aren't the longest so the way he is positioned I can't get to the mouse with out getting too close to him, the mouse has fell in an awkward place for him to get to it. Waiting for him to move so I can reposition it and hopefully leave him to it.

Not wanting to stress him over the feed.

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    The snake is striking at you because you're a warm target, and there's the smell of rat in the air. Do you offer a hot spot on the head? Also, if you need to pick it up use your tongs. But you said the snake will eat if you leave it overnight, so that may be your best bet. The snake doesn't have to strike.

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave1983 View Post
    Hi

I am using tongs, but they aren't the longest so the way he is positioned I can't get to the mouse with out getting too close to him, the mouse has fell in an awkward place for him to get to it. Waiting for him to move so I can reposition it and hopefully leave him to it.

Not wanting to stress him over the feed.

Thanks

Dave
    If there's any part of the mouse that he can get to, he should be able to eat the mouse himself, even if he can just get to the tail. But if it is out of his reach, find something long to pull him back while you grab the mouse. You can try dangling it again, but if you're worried about being bitten, you can just leave it laying somewhere.

I do personally notice that my ball python is more willing to eat when he's in one of his hides rather than cruising around.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Hi yeah am just going to leave it as it is, hopefully he will at it and in future wait until he is in a hide.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    If there's any part of the mouse that he can get to, he should be able to eat the mouse himself, even if he can just get to the tail. But if it is out of his reach, find something long to pull him back while you grab the mouse. You can try dangling it again, but if you're worried about being bitten, you can just leave it laying somewhere.

I do personally notice that my ball python is more willing to eat when he's in one of his hides rather than cruising around.

Thanks
    Hi Dave,

I would not handle again until after your snake has begun eating regularly. Then you generaly want to avoid handling an animal within 24 hours of feeding in both directions, before and after. It can stress the snake to be handled and a stressed snake wont eat, and could regurg the meal on the back side.

To promote some regular feeding, my new favorite questions are:

What temp do you keep the hotspot in the hide at?
    How is your heat controlled?
    How do you measure your temperatures?

I am with KMG in being interested in how you are preparing the food item as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    You may also want to invest in a pair of longer tongs.

Thanks
    ... or quicker reflexes.

My girls like to keep there heads raised to just under the shelf above so that when I pull out their tubs I can't see them but they are actually right there...