Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,010

0 members and 3,010 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Anyone knows the story

So I have a 20 gallon tank thats just sitting around and I would like to occupy it. I want to get something small that will not be hard to take care of. I need something easy to keep and won't need a lot of attention/maintenance/cage cleaning. Would a scorpion be good for this? or maybe a tarantula? I know a few lizards too, maybe a gecko of some sorts? Probably something deserty or something that I don't need to buy a lot of stuff for. What do scorpions need? What would you suggest I get?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I've been thinking about getting something like this. ---> http://www.junglebox.net/product/306...egory_Code=VIV It's a conversion kit that will turn a 20 gallon tall aquarium into a front opening dart frog terrarium. I don't know how well they work though.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    No help on T's or scorpions, but there are many frogs that will work in a 20 gallon depending on how you want to set it up. Tomato Frog or a Pacman frog come to mind for ease of setup, you could do a bunch of reeds frogs, but they do best with water in the tank so you are looking at a more extensive setup.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Scorpions are awesome. I have an emperor in a 20 gallon too (I had the same situation -- empty tank with nothing to put in it). All he needed was substrate (I use coconut coir), a couple places for him to hide, a water dish, and a heating pad to make sure he stays in the mid 80s since they like it warm. The only real maintenance I have to do is spritz his substrate. Mine isn't a picky eater and tends to eat whatever insects I give him.

Thanks
    Really depends on what you consider easy. For me, nothings is easier than snakes. Don't need to be fed daily, cleanup is only needed as often as the eat for obvious reasons, and if you get a species with no humidity requirements, you don't need to be around to mist. Inverts are another option. Tarantulas can be kept at room temperature if your house stays in the 70's, fed weekly depending on age, and some don't need high humidity. Scorps are easy too but most require heating. One cool often overlooked option would be madagascar hissing cockroaches. Feed em carrots or other produce and you can go away for a while and the will self sustain pretty darn well. They do require somewhat high humidity though.

Thanks
    Millipedes are about as low maintenence of a pet as possible, once you get things figured out. They can be kept at room temperature, eat their substrate, and the cage only needs to be cleaned a few times a year. They're also communal and can be kept with other pedes of their own or different species, and some other crawlies like roaches.

Here's a few care guides if you're interested:

- http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...pede-Caresheet

- http://petmillipede.weebly.com/

- http://www.bugsincyberspace.com/Live...pede_Care.html