Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

0 members and 2,964 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRB Humid Hide

Thanks

BRB Humid Hide

I plan on getting a Brazilian Rainbow Boa sometime in the future and i want to build a humid hide for it. When i get the snake it will be kept in a 41qt tub until it outgrows it. Whats the best way to build a humid hide for a tub?

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    The best option imo would be to get a plastic container with a lid, like what dips or cottage cheese comes in, and cut a hole into it and smooth the edges so the snake doesn't get hurt on it. Keep the lid on it to have everything enclosed, and you can just take the lid off to dampen or change out the moss. I just have paper towels in mine, but I plan on replacing it with sphagnum moss at some point. Plastic will hold up to high humidity, is easy to clean, and easy to modify.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

kyle13404 (10-29-2014)

Thanks

Re: BRB Humid Hide

When I had a BRB I always just misted under the hide, I didn't have a dedicated humid hide. If you do use a container I recommend putting the holes at the edge of the tub/lid so that if the snake grows and gets itself stuck you can just pop it out instead of it getting jammed in a hole. I learned the hard way.

Thanks

I just use better bedding that holds humidity better. The bag is just over $2 at walmart, you can clean it with some PAM or lice spray and then rinse it all out. But i rarely have to mist and when i do, it doesnt take much!! Its cypress mulch btw, forgot to mention that lol
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My BRB is in a PVC 4ft by 2ft cage. He is on newspaper and does not have a humid hide. He has a large soaking bowl and has great sheds. I only mist when he goes into blue. Other than that I do nothing special.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    My BRB is in a PVC 4ft by 2ft cage. He is on newspaper and does not have a humid hide. He has a large soaking bowl and has great sheds. I only mist when he goes into blue. Other than that I do nothing special.
    I have a question for you. I'm looking into a baby BRB this weekend. I have been debating because the heat gradient they need is 72-82ish. My ambient temperatures in my house are about 80 (dips a bit at night, 72-75) and I am not able to change that - the way my duplex works is that heat is included but the other half has the thermostat. He keeps the heat at the same temp, all day, and won't change it. I was wondering if it would be okay for the little guy to have that as the ambient temp, and if he would need an UTH in that case at all (I feel like it would raise the ambient too hot to have a UTH set only a few degrees higher anyways). I'm moving in May (thank god) to a place where the temperature will be much more logical. Would that be an all right setup until then?

On the plus side, my ball loves the ambient!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    BRBs do not need very high temps like some but I never let mine get lower than 75. If it were me I would offer the uth with the chance of the temps dropping as low as 72. My BRB hardly ever uses his uth area but its there when he needs it and it has been used. I try to provide target ambient and hotspot temps but if your not wanting to use a lamp I would say a uth is a must.

Of course it should only be used with a good tstat.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I can help answer b/c my herp room stays about 78*F constantly and my BRB's are housed there.

Put the BRB's enclosure as low as you can. I've noted a 2-3*F difference in some rooms in my house between the ceiling and floor. If there are any HVAC vents in the room, make sure that the BRB enclosure isn't sitting in the stream of hot air that comes from the vents.

I would still provide a small UTH set to about 84-85*F. Cover half of it with a water bowl to help keep up humidity, and leave the other half for your snake to lie on. You can also provide a water dish on the cool side for your snake to soak in, and he will take a dip if he feels too hot.

The air in a humid hide on the cool side may also drop a bit from the ambient; evaporation pulls energy (heat) from the air.

Thanks
    Sounds good! I think I'll wait on the purchase of the BRB then, and pick up a second thermostat to make sure I can keep proper temps in the tank first - rather than buying the snake and then trying to stabilize the temps! Thanks for the replies, didn't mean to hijack the original post or anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

BRB Humid Hide

In the past, I've kept BRBs on a complete bed of living moss which was replaced with new whenever it was required .
    I had a viv set up with half dry orchid bark and half damp moss but I noticed that the he never EVER went anywhere near the dry half so I slowly changed it to 100% living moss . The BRB spend all day UNDER the moss and the evening on top of the miss and climbing in the branches .
    I shudder when I see BRBs is dry set-ups and a damp hide
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-22-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast